Sonic Boom yesterday

norfolk dumpling

A (good) few years ago, I was sailing with some school kids from Weymouth to Alderney. With little wind, we were making slow progress and I had noticed the instructor with us kept looking at his watch. Eventually, he asked the boys to lift the engine hatch to check all was OK as we going to have to motor for a bit. With their heads down in the hole and uncanny accuracy, the double-boom as Concorde went supersonic made them jump out of their skins. :). I still miss that aeroplane.

The secondary sonic boom. It bounced off the stratosphere and could be heard for many hundreds of miles. As you say, we heard it as regular as clockwork in the South West.

back in the days of the cold war I used to hear 20 to 30 sonic booms a day phantoms starfighters aka"flying coffins" and my favorite the English electric lightning

old west Germany

Thanks for posting. I was wracking by brain a couple of days back during a conversation and simply couldn't remember - until just now - what the aircraft type was that was called the, 'witwenmacher', (widow maker).