Buying from abroad and shipping ?

TaxiDriver

FOB stands for Free on Board and refers to a shipping term where the costs, risks and responsibilities are split fairly equally between the buyer and the seller of goods.

FOB is a widely used international shipping term or Incoterm. The terms allocate the division of responsibility between the Shipper (usually the supplier) and the Consignee (usually the buyer) in the process of shipping the goods from one to the other.

Under FOB shipping terms the seller is responsible for all costs involved in the process up until the goods are on a vessel at the designated port. Once goods have been loaded onto the vessel the buyer is responsible for any costs and risks involved in the onward shipment

Basically it means that once the items leave their docks, in their books that's when the sale is fully completed. Rather than at the point it reaches your hand.

Are you looking at buying a one off item or importing goods? I've imported a few bits from china and have a friend who is a freight forwarding agent, who I can fully recommend if you need someone to deal with the shipping and paperwork.

from my understanding yes, although this can be negotiated at point of sale. The risks are negligible but containers do go overboard. That's why buying a container or space in one is price dependant on where it's loaded - a friend who is a merchant seamen oft quotes " in the hold good as gold. Up on top likely drop "

That's the easiest way, yes. Otherwise you have to deal with hmrc, import forms, duty. You can do it all yourself, and there are lots of info online on how to do it. You can also go to the docks yourself once everything is paid and cleared and collect direct from there. Normally most will only ship to Felixstowe or Southampton.

I believe the company would still have a duty to sort it out if parts were missing from the factory.. if however the bike wasn't strapped down correctly in the container and got damaged in transit then that might become a bit trickier.

Another reason to use a forwarding agent as they should have insurance in place to cover such events.

As a matter if interest what would be the position if Taxi Driver does the deal, pays the price and then jemmies open the crate to find the motorbike is missing several parts?

Yeah :) What he says.?

That would be a major concern because once you've paid your money outright you're in the hands of the gods.

I got stiffed years ago by Americans when I imported a load of CD's I got 100 of the same Cd instead of 10x of ten different titles

Edit : typed the above whilst Curly had replied.

I believe the motorcycles come in a crate partially assembled.

Edited by TaxiDriver

If you have ever done business with the Chinese company DX you will know what a pain it is to get a refund or replacement part. And I'm only talking ten dollar torches here.

A farmer I know bought a small Chinese tractor from an importer in France The tractor came in a crate for self assembly and the problems he had assembling the thing were horrendous. It had bits missing and other parts were not for the same tractor. A nightmare.

Hmmm must some good reason why only very few of these Chinese motorcycle manufacturers have a UK presence ?

They seem to consentrate on markets closer to home.

I guess I'd never do it ......

1. I couldn't afford to lose the money

2. I can't even get the correct order delivered from the local Chinese takeaway. :) :)

Edited by TaxiDriver

I'm not trying to tell you your business but I would advise you not to consider buying a motorcycle from China. To list all the potential problems of importing a vehicle that doesn't have an EU Type Approval Certificate would run into pages.

It can never realistically be registered without you having to jump through some very expensive hoops getting it tested (and that's assuming it passed)

I'm not trying to tell you your business but I would advise you not to consider buying a motorcycle from China. To list all the potential problems of importing a vehicle that doesn't have an EU Type Approval Certificate would run into pages.It can never realistically be registered without you having to jump through some very expensive hoops getting it tested (and that's assuming it passed)

This is an aspect that I had also considered ie 'type approval' (I think it's called)

And as I've already suggested, it's probably one of those very good reasons why more Chinese manufacturers concentrate on home markets and Not the UK.

Buy him a Honda job done ,cb125 bombproof last forever,buy a Hanjing or a ???.Good luck ,theres a Hanjing rotting outside my neighbours garage.1 of the lads at work had 2 Kymco scooter,s from new gutless heaps,50cc then 125 he swear,s never again.And as people have said the cost for U.K registration and testing far outway the savings