Another Yeoman query.

nagantino

I'm going to buy a side by side for decoying pigeon and crow. There's something about a S/S that's very satisfying, so, I set out around the various dealers and I have turned up a few. What I have noticed is that while a Yeoman is a plain gun, some are plainer than others. Today I looked at one with lovely case hardening and a little engraving, with Aguirre Y Arrunzibal nicely picked out, clean and sharp. Also the diamonds cut on the gun I looked at today are fine and crisp. The model I looked at last week had less attractive diamonds and almost no engraving and the name missing altogether. It also had a loose fore end which made me set it aside. Fixable? They are all solid shotguns but I wondered ......are there older and later models of the old stand by?

I'm going to buy a side by side for decaying pigeon and crow. There's something about a S/S that's very satisfying, so, I set out around the various dealers and I have turned up a few. What I have noticed is that while a Yeoman is a plain gun, some are plainer than others. Today I looked at one with lovely case hardening and a little engraving, with Aguirre Y Arrunzibal nicely picked out, clean and sharp. Also the diamonds cut on the gun I looked at today are fine and crisp. The model I looked at last week had less attractive diamonds and almost no engraving and the name missing altogether. It also had a loose fore end which made me set it aside. Fixable? They are all solid shotguns but I wondered ......are there older and later models of the old stand by?

Not only that, there are/were several variants of the Yeoman. For example, I had a 26" barreled one with 1/4 by 1/2 choke and a beavertail forend

I am interested in this also, as the AYA models seem to have a fair bit of variation within each type. I don't have a Yeoman but I do have a No.3 and at first glance I couldn't tell much of a difference until I found out that generally Yeomans dont have so much fancy engraving or the little lock screws. I am sure there are more knowledgeable people on here though that can offer some advice.

Where in the country are you, I know of a local dealer that has a mint Yeoman for sale for very little money (at least he did a few weeks ago).

Just for info here is mine...

post-76330-0-42044800-1480584687_thumb.jpg

I think you may well be getting the `Yeoman` and the No: 3 mixed up. The `Yeoman` was virtually devoid of any engraving and featured parallel

axis pins for the sears and hammers. The No: 3 featured some rather basic border engraving and the sears and hammers pivotted on screwed pins

that are in turn secured with small lock screws; see `Wingmans` photo of the action above. Both were non-ejectors but featured desirable features

such as a replaceable hinge pin and chopper-lump barrels. Both models have now been discontinued, so when purchasing condition is everything;

lots of both models about so the purchaser can be pretty `picky` when viewing a gun.

Edited by JJsDad

Well that one your showing in the photo is almost the exact one I plan to buy. The engraving and colour are the same, but where you have engraved screwheads on the right of the box lock, mine has steel pins. I set out to buy a used English S/S but they are too expensive and not too many to choose from. I live in Belfast. I photographed it on my iPad, in the shop, but the image keeps showing as too large to post. With that double screw configuration, I would say yours is an early one

There are plenty on the market so take a little time and look around . You will see a lot of old dogs that have been mistreated and heavily use as well as some good guns that show signs of little use . Originality is key so look for as much case colour ,barrel black and stock finish as possible .

http://i.imgur.com/8mMYa7l.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'll buy this one. It's got good blueing on the barrels and has nice case hardening still. It's tight also. When I was looking at it in the shop the lock and metalwork generally seemed to have a lacquer or varnish on it. It was only noticeable cos some seemed to have have been worn off in places.

http://i.imgur.com/8mMYa7l.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'll buy this one. It's got good blueing on the barrels and has nice case hardening still. It's tight also. When I was looking at it in the shop the lock and metalwork generally seemed to have a lacquer or varnish on it. It was only noticeable cos some seemed to have have been worn off in places.

Mine had a lacquer like finish .... that I was never quite sure was lacquer or what; Good sound gun - no issues in my (long) ownership, but I did have the chokes opened (standard was half & full I think).

Edited by JohnfromUK