Hello from a newbie.. and How to get pigeons to land..???

danro

Hi all.

I'm an airgun hunter, living near Southampton, Hampshire.

My main quarry is rabbits but my wife loves pan fried pigeon :)

I thought I would join up here as this is obviously THE place to ask my BIG question.

Next to our garden is a large ash tree.

Every day 2- 10 woodies sit and enjoy the view.

I can't shoot them there, as there is no back stop, the tree is outside my boundries and the fallen woodies would land outside my boundaries. (and upset the neighbors :) )

I don't fancy breaking the law - I've too much to loose :) .

So, how can I get these little blighter's to land in my garden so I can take a safe shot?

I have a few decoy shells (5) but not sure how best to deploy them.

Any advise, will be greatly received :)

Many thanks

Danro

Not into much decoying or pigeon shooting but i imagine if you scattered some bread in your garden with 2 or 3 randomly placed decoys that appear to be eating it should be fine townie pigeons shouldn't be to wary.

Take note of where the pigeons land and this will help you perfect your pattern :)

Not into much decoying or pigeon shooting but i imagine if you scattered some bread in your garden with 2 or 3 randomly placed decoys that appear to be eating it should be fine townie pigeons shouldn't be to wary.

Take note of where the pigeons land and this will help you perfect your pattern :)

:stupid: and feed them but that won't give you a rewarding shoot :good:

LB

I have tried various seeds and cereal without any success.

Bread is has brought them down once or twice, but disappeared to the bl00dy starlings in minutes, I wish I could drill a few of them too :stupid:

I was hoping there was something that pigeons could not resist that some of the other birds were less interested in...

Otherwise it'll be bread... :)

Cheers

Danro

Dig your garden up and sow some grass seed. When I grassed my garden it was covered in pigeons every morning at first light.

Hmm that sounds better than you expected.

We are in the process of filling in the hole where a swimming pool had been so we have 40ft x 20ft area just like that due to be seeded in a few months :stupid:

Now there is some incentive to finish filling it in :)

Technically shooting woodies in your garden just to eat isn't legal :blush:

Unless the kid's play area is full of Guano!!!!

Damn pigeons, eat my cabbages, at the moment they're in the elder, ruining the flowers for my elderflower champagne and just about ruining my life :angry::):) :( :angry::angry:

Technically shooting woodies in your garden just to eat isn't legal :blush:

:angry::angry::angry:

Huh??

I knew it was illegal to "bait" birds... hence just wanting to.. well er.. "feed them" :good:

and shoot them later.. like a few seconds later... :D

Didn't know I should not shoot 'em at all!!!!

But I'm sure it is the woodies cr*pping all over my girlies swing - that MUST be a H&S issue!! please? :):) :(

........and as they`re not on any of the shooting lists you can`t !

I know, and I wouldn't. B) :D:)

I don't mind "flexing" the law where there may be a "gray" area but there would be no chance with something like that :stupid:

Danro