KwikFit Add On Night Vision rigs - reduced prices for 2017

Dave-G

Recent retirement allows me more time to potter about and hopefully add a little pocket money to my basic state pension - so my home build prices are now rounded down by about 10%. :)

These KwikFit Add On Night Vision rigs are made with some factory moulded and machined components that were custom designed and made specifically for me. I say this to explain that while I will only generally have one completed at a time, I will usually be able to replace it within a day or so from stock parts if or when one gets sold.

How quick was that to fit a complete ready to use add on rig that includes an integrated T50 illuminator solidly aimed straight ahead? No faffing about getting the torch to point exactly where the scope views every time you whip it on. :angel:

DSCF6483_zpsasaji7zy.jpg

The two quiet latching push switches have been moved below the battery/monitor pod, the inner switch is the optics. They are positioned close together so they can be pressed simultaneously or individually: There will be occasions when the rig can be used covertly in twilight or bright moonlight at low ranges without using the illuminator.

DSCF6482_zpszllplm9i.jpg

The three power modes of the illuminator are selected using the outer switch in the same way that tail cap switches are used in 'T' torches, and they are quieter. The integrated T50 torch has an optional use threaded shroud to reduce light spillage towards the rear of the sound moderator that could reflect back into the scope: Simply swap the shroud for the standard torch bezel. A side effect of this is that quarry well off axis is less likely to spot the IR glow.

The rig takes 3 FLAT TOP 18650 rechargeable batteries - not supplied: If something happens to any of them its very easy to change without losing use of the rig for a few days while the failure is repaired - and I don't get sued if one goes bang. I personally use 'free' cells from recovered laptop battery packs - but if you don't have one to pull apart these are a good buy:

They are easily fitted and changed in seconds, this is how to access the electronics box:

DSCF6883_zpsu7kvfj8j.jpg

The 'base' of the battery/monitor box is laminated with a second layer of ABS sheet, solvent welded inside it before the torch body is clamped through it to make for a seriously sturdy module fixing that's not going to flop around or snap any mounting legs if the rifle rig is rested on it - or even picked up by it. :angel:

The very highly rated genuine KPC E700 camera is located in the rear part of my unique and original design 4 jaw Collet Chuck DSA which comes with two split spacer rings. It will suit plain scope eye bell diameters from a maximum 45mm down to a minimum diameter of 39MM. Once set up to suit a specific eye bell it only needs about half a turn of the screw cap to lock in place, and the clamping forces of collet chucks are remarkable.

DSCF6300_zpsmrz7tefw.jpg

Prior to applying final clamping pressure with the screw cap, Turn on the optical part of the rig (the inner switch) and push the Collet Chuck hard against the ocular adjust wheel and twist to adjust the retical while watching it real time on the monitor like this:

The DSA screwcap may foul centre-fire bolt retraction unless high mounts are used.

DSCF6304_zps1iurmnah.jpg

A single cable passes between the two modules, I have deliberately made it long enough to fit longer scopes and the slack can be taken up by wrapping it once around the scope so it doesn't cause any hindrance.

It is supplied with one of these scope rail adaptors that you will fit ahead of the scope turrets. If you want to fit the rig to other rifles you will need one of them for each rifle - and they make a handy mount for lamping torches too. Buy them from here or I can supply extra one's with the order at £10 each.

Experience has shown the batteries CAN shift slightly under hard recoil from some centrefire rifles so in hindsight I will not claim they are suited for hard recoil centrefire use. However I'm pleased to say I recently found found some tighter 18650 battery carriers that seem to be doing a much better job at retaining them: To the point that one sometimes needs to assist the neutral coil spring push the cell onto the positive terminal by sliding it 'forwards'

I prefer people to buy on a sales thread rather than via PM as it helps my old brain keep track.

The basic price is now reduced to £230 collected or £243 delivered to UK postcodes via RMSD

Options available:

With a regular Chinese Spec T50 and new AS pill - £230.

With a T50 Black Sun IR pill fitted into the torch - £260

Additional scope weaver rail adaptors £10.

A DVR cable with a right angled 4 pole plug at one end and a 'Y' cable that interrupts the camera feed cable into the battery box - buyer needs to specify which DVR it will be used with: Add £10

RMSD is £13.

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What distance can this one go?? Roughly? Cheers

Also, what's the battery life like??

With the standard Chinese fitted AS IR pill it is good for over 200 yards I/D and more for eyeshine. If the Black Sun option is taken you could expect about 300 yards - scope dependent of course.

The optics circuit uses two 18650 batteries allowing over 3 hours constant if decent cells are used. Most of us only turn on a rifle night vision rig for a few minutes at a time.

The single 18650 illuminator cell should give about 90 minutes for the cheaper LED option constant on full, and over one hour if the Black Sun pill is used. The batteries are cheap enough to carry a couple of spares in the pocket and have very very good power retention even if they have not been charged for months. Used laptop battery packs are easily come by these days - and they usually have 8 good quality 18650 cells inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Tomo-1, PM conversations taking place. :good:

Just a heads up to anyone who has no previous experience of 'add on' rifle night vision rigs:

You need to be using it with a scope that has either Adjustable Objective or Side Focus to be able to focus the night vision at variable distances. A non parallax adjustable scope will yield a very disappointing depth of focus.

Well my setup arrived Saturday morning, I spent a short amount of time fitting it to my .17HMR and was ready to get out in the evening.

The setup initially allowed me to see out to 100m or so but rapidly decreased - I hadn't charged the batteries!!! But in the short period of time that I was able to use it on the first night I managed 10 rabbits in about 30 mins of intermittent use.

Following a good charging session I made the following video to show how good the kit is with fully charged batteries!

Initially in the video the field margin is 50m away, and illuminated on the lowest IR setting. Then I take it out to 100-120m on the mid setting, then to maximum which comfortably shines out to 300m. I found a lapwing in the field and zoomed in on it, that is at about 180-200m.

Towards the end of the video the IR is illuminating the trees out to 800m+ with the brow of the hill being 600m and what I would consider capable of picking up eye shine. (The flashing bouy is 1800m)

For info, the rifle is unloaded at all times and I wasn't shooting (although I do have permission), simply demonstrating the setups capability from an elevated position to enable sufficient range.

I hope it helps anyone else thinking of buying one!

Edited by Wildfowler

Blimey, time I started a new thread. Don't let the big sales posts on forums lead anyone into thinking I've made a packet in the last few years.

I just spend loads of time thinking up new ways of making a small profit after the expenses of very small batch custom made parts takes the shine off. I have to say I enjoy keeping my mind a bit active in the cold damp winter months I can't get out in as much as I'd like to. Night vision items don't sell much in the summer when I can do outdoor stuff. Asking people to buy on the sales thread shows how few I sell to anyone taking notes. :|

I'm not much bothered about any probity. I've seldom reached the minimum tax threshold in the last 9 years or so due to health issues affecting my work. My basic state pension is not far below my part time cab income after all expenses were taken out for several years, nearly always well below the minimum tax threshold. When Mrs-G gets her pension next month we'll be better off than for umpteen years. Might even get to avoid doing equity release on our tiny two bed semi that got mostly paid for out of fathers inheritance.

We lead a very frugal lifestyle: Don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat out, drive a 17 years old car now I've retired my 12 years old cab that the council took of the road because of their cab age rule, freeview TV etc and I can potter along at my own pace making these rigs without cab passengers coughing all their germs over my shoulder further screwing my fubared immune system and emphysema.

Din't mean to get carried away - sorry chaps. :oops:

I can't find a 'some bloke' brand name anywhere to fall foul of?

Edited by Dave-G

Hi all, Just a kwick (!) bit of feed back for everyone.

I have had my Dave-G add on Night Vision for a couple of weeks now. Once I had sorted out a couple of minor glitches which were more me than the equipment then all was good.

i.e. quick unit tighten onto supplied mount (30 seconds), then noticed that the illuminator (IR torch) wasn't working, which, if I had read Dave's notes, I found to be the battery in the

torch section wasn't pushed hard up against the contact (1 second).

I have found this unit to be a superb bit of kit so far. Yes I could have made one myself, however, for the amount a "Faf" factor and price of parts, then this was worth every penny.

The all in one case which includes the screen and IR torch didn't need any alignment or shimming out, but I do use it with the shield as suggested by Dave due to reflection into the scope.

The plug on camera tube is easy once you have got your head around size and placement of the suplied spacer, depending on which scope you have.

Most importantly you will need a scope with side focus and if you are going to use it for close ish ratting then it needs to focus at about 15m or whatever range is your killing zone, bear this

in mind.The Chinese IR torch is more than adequate for my needs and I use it on low or medium setting so as to save battery.

What has taken abit of getting used to is looking at a screen for a while and not forgetting that you are outside! I managed to get disorientated a couple of times as it gets like watching a video on u-tube!

I hope this helps make up anyone's mind. Yes, you can make a cheapo version, but how long is it going to last in the long run? This will go on and on and on...............

can you alter the magnification on your scope and still get a good clear picture, as on some homebuilds I know they can only be used on very low mag.

I like to use my scope on 10x mag

Sure can, 10 mag is about where I like mine on the 17REM with most scopes I've tried. EDIT: I use 16mm lenses in them which effectively slightly zooms in the ocular view - cropping the outer extremities off the image and making the crosshair slightly thicker on the viewer.

The exit pupil of the scope is decreasing in size by then on some small objective scopes so it progressively darkens a bit more as you go further. What scope?

Edited by Dave-G