Another sxs shotgun

Feltwad

Enclosed are images of the early type of sxs shotgun in flintlock ,these were the fore runners of shooting flying before that most game was shot sitting from long barrelled single barrel guns .The art of shooting flying became popular from the 1780s onward s ,the most

well known gun makers of the period from 1780 were the Manton brothers .The style of gun they produced with the 30inch barrels still resembles the modern sxs today

Feltwad

P1010008.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

French flintlock sxs shotgun

P1010032.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

Mine's not in the same condition as that one and certainly not in a fit condition to fire.

Name on the lockplate is Naudot so assume it's continental. Interesting carved boars head on the stock.attachicon.gifScreenHunter_26 Feb. 03 20.45.jpgattachicon.gifScreenHunter_25 Feb. 03 20.44.jpg

A nice example

Common practice of Continental gun makers to carve their gun stocks with heads of animals I see yours is the Rams head with a cheek piece. I have restored several of this type of Continental flintlocks in the past some guns had a cheek piece on both sides of the stock to cater for both left and right hand shooters ,

Feltwad

Enclosed are images of the early type of sxs shotgun in flintlock ,these were the fore runners of shooting flying before that most game was shot sitting from long barrelled single barrel guns .The art of shooting flying became popular from the 1780s onward s ,the most

well known gun makers of the period from 1780 were the Manton brothers .The style of gun they produced with the 30inch barrels still resembles the modern sxs today

Feltwad

Hi Feltwad am I correct in that one of the Manton brothers was Joseph Manton?

I recall when reading both volumes of Colonel Peter Hawkers diary he made regular reference to this highly skilled gunmaker and throughout his book had purchased several punt guns and other fowling guns in various stages of build, shoot, test, re smithed by him. Some of them where of huge guns. I recall in the book that they eventually went bankrupt but cannot be 100% sure as it was may years ago i read them. The books were one of the most insightful, humorous, fascinating and detailed accounts of a era long gone that will never be repeated.

I am not a fowler myself but enjoy your posts and can see the beauty, skills and diligence which went into making these marvelous pieces of fowling history.

atb

7diaw

7diaw

Yes you are correct Joseph Manton was the younger brother of John Manton they both were first class gun makers john was more associated to the flintlock and Joseph the percussion .Joseph tried several inventions to the ignition of firearms which included , tubes, patchs and caps this was his downfall because the fultimate which he used in producing these inventions was patented by Forsythe who sued all gunmakers of that period who used it ,this finially bankrupt Joseph Manton .

Feltwad

7diaw

Yes you are correct Joseph Manton was the younger brother of John Manton they both were first class gun makers john was more associated to the flintlock and Joseph the percussion .Joseph tried several inventions to the ignition of firearms which included , tubes, patchs and caps this was his downfall because the fultimate which he used in producing these inventions was patented by Forsythe who sued all gunmakers of that period who used it ,this finially bankrupt Joseph Manton .

Feltwad

I know in the diary he states once or twice the price of the guns and they were not cheap and could be many, many months in the making, testing, shooting by hawker then re smithing. As you would be in the know of more than most i was fascinated at some of the size of the punt guns, the size of load and the distance of shot would travel. Just looking at one of the books again, one account gives a shot of approx 300 yards for 2 brent geese, that is some distance.

Ahh,and thanks for informing me of the reason they went out of business, cannot recall if it was mentioned in the book.

atb

7diaw