17 wsm

Nfinlay22

17 Hornet, 17 HMR and 17 Remington, all most excellent choices .... the question has to be , why? What can this new cartridge do that the others can't ? Even a question banded about in the USA. I have shot a 17 Remington for a little over 30yrs, had my first when it was relatively unknown in the UK. I still have one today and it is capable of dealing with any of our vermin. I also have a 17HMR for those smaller precision jobs. e.g., sorting squirrels and rats on pheasant feeders along rides where the shot maybe a tad over 100yrds.

The 17 Hornet is set just about between the two. Superb little cartridge.

For me I will just have the one rim fire, the old faithful 22lr.

Why bring out another 17RF when they tried before with the 17 HMR and smaller the 17 ??? (forgot already) what is this one going to do that the other 2 didn't or should I say did when they 1st hit our shores. The accuracy went down hill rapid, and no its not the rifle "or" the shooter, the ammo was and still maybe rubbish.

If you want to go the 17 road then go for a CF, plenty to choose from, but make sure you can get the fodder for it 1st, they will all out shoot the 17rf big time. The cost may be a bit more but if you want to you can reload for allot less on a budget reloading set up. The HMR is sitting in my cabinet ready to go, I have gone the 17 Rem route, it was an issue getting cases but now sorted for the life of the barrel.

I've put in for a variation on my ticket for a 17 wsm and have trawled a number of US sites. The later reviews report better accuracy, including one splitting a playing card at a 100 yards. The Savage is the only rifle available in my price range, which in the standard synthetic form, has a very flimsy front end, being able to twist it to touch the barrel. I would go for the laminated with stainless heavy barrel. Since buying my latest batch of HMR bullets, they were £20.50 for 50, while the .17 wsm were £18.50 for 50, so that has to be an advantage.

My RFD said that CZ are considering entering the wsm market. Might be worth hanging on to see what happens.

Other than .22lr I don't really trust the rimfire market. You're at the mercy of ammunition suppliers producing your ammo, and on a new fangled cartridge like this it's fair to say that it's long term prospects are risky.

With Kranks selling bulk 17gr bullets at £5/100, you can home load a .17 Hornet for very little money. That's what I would do personally. I have a .17 Hornet and I'm currently having a .17 Rem built to try out and have ordered some of the cheap bullets to see how they go. Whether I keep the Hornet or Rem is yet to be seen, but I certainly won't be chopping in either for a rimfire.

• 10 months later...

How you getting on with the WSM please Fister?

My Sako Quad was supplied as a .22 lr with a spare 17HMR barrel. I'm thinking I might clear off the 17 HMR barrel to free up the slot and look at something else as a complete rifle in the near future.

My shooting is 99.9% sub 120 yard rabbit which the HMR used to be seriously reliable at but I'm having consistency issues with it now.

I'm especially interested in how it compares to the hornet as that might be a plan B though I don't much fancy reloading stacks for bunny use: However being retired I could find the time for it and have reloading gear and stacks of varget to use up. :)

I have a 17REM if I need to go specifically for fox.