Contract of employment

Fabhui

I've been working for a company for the past 5 years and this week they finally decided to give us a contract which none of us have ever had before.

The thing is is that if it came down to it I wouldn't trust the company as far as I could spit and I'm concerned there may be things in my contract where I could come unstuck.

I asked for a copy to take away before signing it and was wondering if anyone knows anywhere I can go to have it looked over apart from a solicitor that would cost me the earth?

Citizens Advice Bureau ?

In some circumstances, They can arrange a free 30 min initial interview with a solicitor.

Does the contract vary much from what you are currently doing/have been doing ?

Is there many employees, is there a union at work ?

Depending on the line of work, Perhaps you could approach a suitable Union for some advice.

Edited by TaxiDriver

Citizens advice bureau could be an option. There's no trade union where I work and there's around 10 employees.

The contract they've given me is 13 pages long!! A lot if it is full of legal terminology. It makes a lot of reference with referring to the works handbook regarding certain procedures etc. The thing is is the works handbook isn't even finished and only one uncompleted copy is available for all employees to refer to.

The obvious starting point is you have to go through it paragraph by paragraph and ask 'does that paragraph / clause differ from what I already enjoy and am used to?'

You're right to be weary - I've done loads of contracts and contract updates for clients and there's always a reason behind it and it's never for the benefit of the employee :lol:

If you've been working there for 5 years you're already protected from things like unfair dismissal and you would also have the automatic right to things like a staged disciplinary, performance management, and grievance procedure etc. In other words even if they wanted to they can't just sack you on a whim.

As Mungler says looks at the reality of the job V what's in the new contract and go from there. They might just be tidying up their HR and have possibly got a lawyer or HR consultant to produce the contract. Alternatively they might have cobbled one together from a load of out of date documents, which many small firms do. In which case it might be riddled with errors. I see this all the time.

By the way you have been legally entitled to a statement of terms compliant with the Employment Rights Act after 8 weeks in the job, so they are a bit late on that score already. :lol: