In ear hearing protection

Red-dot

I've been using Walkers Game Ear since the year dot. Good bit of kit, but sits behind the ear like a hearing aid. You have to get ear molds custom made.

I've just switched to Cens Proflex Hunter, excellent bit of kit. The passive module fits into the same earpiece if you don't need active in the hide or clay ground etc, very comfortable and way better noise attenuation than the Walkers to my mark 1 ear.

What should you be looking to pay for in ear protection?

Depends what you want. My custom moulded in ear plugs were about £80 all in, but Howard Leigh max are still more effective and more comfortable for me.

If you want something that has electrics to help you hear everything you would otherwise miss things rapidly get pricey.

I have gone to Peltor protacs and after a while getting used to them would not go back to in ear protection for shooting unless money were no object. On the motorbike i use howard leigh max plugs.

Edited by Wb123

Norgas Gun & Cartridge Co. have just started to sell the Shothunt electronic ear pieces. I did the deal earlier in March when I attended IWA in Germany.

Young webber and I tried the wireless version with magnetic loop for use with two way radio at Rixton & Astley Shooting Club at the clay shoot on Sunday.

Absolutely awesome.

No need for impressions to be taken or special inserts made for your ears.

The earpieces use special foam buds which are compressed prior to inserting into your ear. Within a few seconds the foam expands and makes a perfect seal.

Completely Waterproof.

We tried the most expensive version, but there is a basic electronic where the earpiece is set to either Off, On or Amplify, but no volume control.

The standard have a very small volume control knob but lack the magnetic loop for use with mobile phones or two way radios.

UK SHOTHUNT Prices

Basic PBS £399

Standard £445 The name doesn't do the product justice!

Wireless £495 Complete with magnetic neck loop for mobile telephone or two way radio.

Make and model of equipment must be specified when ordering.

webber

http://www.shothunt.com/en/

Edited by webber

webber, slightly off topic but only just read the small indistinct print at the bottom your page. 'One grey squirrel is two to many'.

Totally agree and my small wood is now a tree rat free zone, any incomers maybe make it 48hrs. Driving some 70 miles at the moment to help clear out some woodland where they are rampant. We should all do more.

Back on track. I have Cens in ear electronics and they are fair to reasonable but tend to whistle on full volume. The Cens customer care did not impress me when I sent these back for a service. I had to return them as they were not right. Not a "sorry sir" but a bill for £70.

webber, let me / us have details of those Shothunt models please.