out of proof shotgun regulations

Robyray

A gun is out of proof if the bores have worn 10 tho from the original proof measurement.

A loos or dented barrel may not be out of proof but is dangerous and may require proofing after repair.

Yes but you don't know what the original proof dimensions were and a lot of shotguns are not even proofed in this country now. There is quite a lot of variation in barrel dimensions from manufacturer to manufacturer anyway and no international standard to work from.

So where would you start?

Yes but you don't know what the original proof dimensions were and a lot of shotguns are not even proofed in this country now. There is quite a lot of variation in barrel dimensions from manufacturer to manufacturer anyway and no international standard to work from.

The proof marks!

Gentlemen,

There is a lot of bad information being posted here .

The Rules of Proof are readily available to read , but understanding can be difficult.

If you cannot understand them , get a gunsmith to help.

ANY fault with a gun barrel that gives you cause for concern should be enough deterent not to use the gun until repaired or advised that it is safe to use .

Perfectly legal to use guns proved for black powder to be shot using black powder loads .

Dents may be lifted , and barrels reamed or honed providing dimension remain within proof specifications.

The proof marks give you all that information if you know how to read them!!!

If you don't get a professional to help you.

I'm beginning to think there should be a written test when you first apply for your sgc. I had no idea about this or measuring chamber sizes for cartridges when using an old hammer gun

I couldn't agree more .After nearly 50 years in the gun trade I am still amazed at how little the average shooter knows about the subject . Not to mention how much that is known is just wrong .

I couldn't agree more .After nearly 50 years in the gun trade I am still amazed at how little the average shooter knows about the subject . Not to mention how much that is known is just wrong .

BASC used to have the answer. However, whereas the post to which the above refers says, "should" which infers it is obligatory, obviously the BASC's offering was voluntary. There are two aspiring BASC council members here, perhaps they could take note and investigate the possibility of their organisaton distributing something appropriate (not just/simply related to this topic, but also other information) to all constabularies for inclusion in an initial SGC application. As a bonus, it might just help with membership numbers.

Edited by wymberley

I'm beginning to think there should be a written test when you first apply for your sgc. I had no idea about this or measuring chamber sizes for cartridges when using an old hammer gun

A test? Would it have a pass and fail clause and who would officiate and at what cost to the license payer? Since when has any of the issues raised in this thread been a problem which a test would address to the benefit of public safety? Do we really want yet more hoops for potential shooters to jump through?