any PW GAS ENGINEERS ? ADVICE? on a VAILLANT ECO TEC PRO 28

oldypigeonpopper

hello, as above this boiler was fitted in my sons home in august last year with a hand held digital programmer, up to january has been ok but now we are having to top up every week when the BAR pressure drops and F22 appears, there are no leaks and overflow pipe is dry, looking online it seems a common problem, as another fault no 52, have we chosen the wrong boiler ? or is there a way to fix for constant pressure, it happens most when system cold, i see you can re pressurise the expansion vessel? also those online stated Vaillant were not the most helpfull on customer service. any help appreciated

If the boiler was fitted last year it will still be under warranty put a call through to valliant you will need boiler serial number most likely expansion vessel flat or failed that model valliant does have problems with pressure sensors and diverter valves failing but all in all a very good boiler

F22 is the low pressure fault code, so that will come on when the pressure is allowed to drop. If the discharge pipe is not leaking and the water pressure isn't going over 3 bar when the central heating has been on for a while there must be a leak somewhere. I would top the pressure up to 1.5 bar and look very carefully at all the pipework, maybe the system filter (magnaclean, TF1 or whatever has been fitted) is weeping? A fairly common fault on all boilers is the AAV leaking. Take the cover off the boiler and look behind the pump for a small, usually grey, screw cap. If there's evidence of leaking water try tightening the cap down, which should stop it leaking. It takes a surprisingly small amount of water leaking out to lead to a pressure drop over a short period.

F22 is the low pressure fault code, so that will come on when the pressure is allowed to drop. If the discharge pipe is not leaking and the water pressure isn't going over 3 bar when the central heating has been on for a while there must be a leak somewhere. I would top the pressure up to 1.5 bar and look very carefully at all the pipework, maybe the system filter (magnaclean, TF1 or whatever has been fitted) is weeping? A fairly common fault on all boilers is the AAV leaking. Take the cover off the boiler and look behind the pump for a small, usually grey, screw cap. If there's evidence of leaking water try tightening the cap down, which should stop it leaking. It takes a surprisingly small amount of water leaking out to lead to a pressure drop over a short period.

hello, thankyou for your advice

Don't worry Tim

He's looked it up online and it's a common problem....you and I both know why it appears online so much.

I caveat the sarcastic nature of this post; have had a frustrating day of DIY Dave's knowing it all.

To be fair the op asked for the opinion of a gas engineer, Londonluke are you a gas engineer? Whether the expansion vessel is gone or the auto air vent is leaking or whatever the boiler was fitted 8 months ago so it should be under warranty. If the installer was Gas safe registered this should be no problem and if the installer was worth his/her salt they would sort it out so give them a call.

To be fair the op asked for the opinion of a gas engineer, Londonluke are you a gas engineer? Whether the expansion vessel is gone or the auto air vent is leaking or whatever the boiler was fitted 8 months ago so it should be under warranty. If the installer was Gas safe registered this should be no problem and if the installer was worth his/her salt they would sort it out so give them a call.

Have a team of gas installers in fact....

That's all true - but equally I have seen clients stung with F22 fault codes more than once. They call Vaillant (or other manufacturers) out under warranty and are then charged when there is nothing wrong with the boiler - hence my advice above.

Of course F22 is the all over the internet, it's THE most common problem any combination boiler can have and one that virtually every single owner of a Vaillant combi will have at some time of ownership.

Good luck fella. My old dears Valiant had 8 years of constantly dropping pressure. All the Experts could not sort it out. No external leaks but it had a few blow off pressure valves and a small heat exchanger plus the diaphragm replaced.

Sorted now though, a Worcester Bosch is being fitted on Thursday.

Good luck fella. My old dears Valiant had 8 years of constantly dropping pressure. All the Experts could not sort it out. No external leaks but it had a few blow off pressure valves and a small heat exchanger plus the diaphragm replaced.

Look forward to hearing how your new Worcester is constantly losing pressure! If anyone competent looking at your boiler couldn't find a leak on the boiler, I bet it's under the floorboards somewhere and a new boiler isn't going to cure it.

You need better "experts"

Even the experts that put in leak sealant may have been preferable in this instance 😂

No external leaks. I have been under the boards myself and had a look, all the pipework is nice and dry. Whatever is wrong is within the White cabinet.

The reason for replacing is down to the property being rented out and I dont want any agro about no hot water.

Edit the experts included the Valiant service guys.

Edited by bear-uk

simple enough to test

+1

No external leaks. I have been under the boards myself and had a look, all the pipework is nice and dry. Whatever is wrong is within the White cabinet.

The reason for replacing is down to the property being rented out and I dont want any agro about no hot water.

Edit the experts included the Valiant service guys.

Could well be the heat exchanger damaged, can be difficult to trace & leak sealer wouldn't help that!

I'm not a gas engineer :)

I had a Valiant system fitted in my last house and though it worked well, I also had to keep topping up the pressure every 6-8 weeks. Not sure if it was connected but when the boiler was first fitted and fired up, the plumbers hadn't fitted the overflow pipe because of unfinished work in the garage; It was running like that for about 6 weeks. Anyway, they had a temporary pipe fitted and a bucket and I noticed the system would dump water out pretty regularly, it wasn't just a trickle, it would dump out maybe 1 or 2 mugs worth. I have no idea how often they should dump any water, but I had to keep an eye on the pressure to avoid the error.

It became routine for me so I never followed it up, I doubt mine was a leak issue because once all fitted, the system was pressure tested for two days before it was fired up.

They shouldn't dump water at all. You might have been collecting the condensate in the bucket, which is perfectly normal. But if the water was coming out of the discharge pipe then the boiler was faulty, probably the pressure vessel having a torn diaphragm.

Edited by Tim Kelly