Roe Deer.

M ROBSON

That is cracking buck how old di you assess him to be?

DD,

I will be boiling it off for him so I'll have a much better idea with the finished skull in my hands.

This buck has been left for the past 2 seasons and he would have made a good medal back then, he'll be quite old, maybe 8-10.

Mark.

Will you be taking it to Scone ??

HD,

We're going on the Sunday to try and pick up a late bargain, will probably bring it then.

I might be there on the Saturday as well but my mate won't be.

PM me closer the time and I'll let you know. :lol:

Mark.

Hello Mark as i said before a monster & not often you see thick heavy head's or big gold's that even like your mate's.I my self am going to scone with a couple head's but it would be nice to see the head in the skull in hand.Post pic's in the skull & let me know the wieght if you can just for my own cuereosity please.I think that buck will go a good gold 150+cic let us know how it dose.

Highlander,

Yep last evening, we can stalk till nearly 23:00 up here at this time of year.

The last three off this land previous to this have made silver, bronze and a gold.

It's just a little piece of hill sheep farm (152 acrea) that for some reason keeps producing large bucks. :lol:

Cheers,

Mark.

Hello mark weight is alway's the key as you know & this buck look's 600g/900g if like my mature buck's it will carry the weight.I know an estate close to me here that have shot 10/11 gold's in a year & i saw 1 that i recon would have broke 200cic there a few year's ago.They quite often each year take a couple monster's a year in the 150/180 cic & they leave Scotland unknowen.I think all deer head's should be officially be loged/recorded then leave the country.

they leave Scotland unknowen.

This is quite often the case with these estates that have very good deer on them, some keepers don't like to advertise it, no need to when they have overseas clients cueing up to shoot them at a good price.

I will try and get a copy of a freak head picture that was shot on a local estate last year, it was in the 200 point region, but didn't get scored here. The stalker had 2 golds within 30 minutes of each other that morning!!

Mark.

Well it appears this buck wasn't the one my friend thought it was!

I boiled off the skull on Saturday morning an put it in the top of my boiler room cupboard to dry out a bit. On Sunday morning it weighed in at 731g. :good:

The interesting thing is the skull was fairly small for a head this size and the tooth wear, eye sockets, pedicle size and skull suturing all pointed to a middle aged buck, not the old buck my friend thought he was.

I took the head to a local gamekeeper friend and he estimated the buck to be just 5 years old, and he should know he's had his hands on dozens of high scoring gold medal heads.

So the big old buck my friend has been leaving on his ground for the last 2 years must still be out there somewhere!!

Mark.