22 Hornet Reloading

I really fancy a 22 Hornet, but trying to work out what the outlay would be for the reloading equipment, I've read everything I can find, but am still unsure exactly what kit I'd need without going OTT. Can anyone outline the basic kit required? I'd most probably want to load a 45 grain softpoint predominantly for foxing and corvides up to 150ish yards.

Many thanks

Edited by RingDove

You can buy a basic kit, but then you'll find that you will want better etc. Take a look at the Lee Anniversary Kit. I've been reloading for many years. Reloading the 22 Hornet (an excellent calibre!) is cheap enough. If and when you reload for the 22 Hornet, try and get some 45gr Sierra Spitzers.

Thanks, I'll have a look. I've read some guys have issues fitting home loads in their mags with the heavier bullets, do you have this problem? I'd be looking at either a CZ or Weirauch rifle.

I've got a CZ 527 which is an excellent rifle. No problems with 'heavy' bullets. The only issue is making sure that the bullet is seated in far enough so that it feeds correctly in the magazine.

Weihrauch every time. Unless you're wandering around with it, the JM.

What Steve says for kit, but as they have thin necks, a bench rest seating die has its advantages - Forster is good, just don't bother with the micrometer version. Also at some point you might need to do a re-size. The Lee collet die just to neck resize is best for this calibre in particular, but should it be necessary to give the case a nudge, then a body die is handy - Redding do one for the Hornet.

Stay with the Hornet type bullets - Sierra, Speer and Hornady all good. Yep, if you want heavier bullets, buy a bigger calibre rifle. Having said that, I use 50g but I don't wander about and use a single shot with a 1 i 14 twist but still stay with the Hornet type bullet.

Enjoy.

I take it the weihrauch is a bit on the heavy side then?

I have a .243, so am really looking for something between this and .22 rimfire, to replace the .17HMR, the Hornet seems a nice inbetween calibre for foxing and vermin.

I'd love to try one first really, but I don't know anyone that has one.

I take it the weihrauch is a bit on the heavy side then?

I have a .243, so am really looking for something between this and .22 rimfire, to replace the .17HMR, the Hornet seems a nice inbetween calibre for foxing and vermin.

I'd love to try one first really, but I don't know anyone that has one.

No. The 'J' is fine, the 'JM' is a cross between a hunting and match rifle. Plonk it down, point it approximately in the right direction, squeeze the trigger and something falls down, simples, but is not good for 'stalking'.

A good choice of calibre for what you're looking for but don't underestimate it. With a 45g bullet backed up by Lil'Gun you're easily talking 2800+ ft/sec without being silly and which is 200+ yards for fox in anyone's money.

A good choice of calibre for what you're looking for but don't underestimate it. With a 45g bullet backed up by Lil'Gun you're easily talking 2800+ ft/sec without being silly and which is 200+ yards for fox in anyone's money.

Exactly what I want to hear :) The variation is off anyway, now for the waiting game.

No. The 'J' is fine, the 'JM' is a cross between a hunting and match rifle. Plonk it down, point it approximately in the right direction, squeeze the trigger and something falls down, simples, but is not good for 'stalking'.

I use 45g Sierra Spitzer with 12gr of Lil'Gun. This is the minimum weight recommended for this powder/bullet. I also tried 12.1 -12.5 but found very little difference, so stuck with 12gr. It works well in my rifle. Another good powder is Hodgdon H4198. I will be using this next time I reload. I reloaded 398 yesterday, which will last me for quite a long time.

I use 45g Sierra Spitzer with 12gr of Lil'Gun. This is the minimum weight recommended for this powder/bullet. I also tried 12.1 -12.5 but found very little difference, so stuck with 12gr. It works well in my rifle.

Yep, different barrels + different bullets = different performance. Having been advised not to compress the powder, I don't do so. 12.6gr throws my 50g bullet at 2770 from a fire formed case. Any more charge gives no appreciable increase in velocity at the expense of accuracy. In a new or fully resized case 12.3gr is the max and things are a bit loopy so I do use a 45g Hornady in these for 2792 from 12.4gr. Once fire formed I stick with the 50g by choice, but 12.8gr will throw the 45g at 2867.

I have noticed that when I used Lil'Gun powder, even with a 12gr throw, some of the cases were full, while others were just under the full mark. I do intend to sort the cases out once I've fired them, and hopefully, the ones that I've reloaded now,won't make too much difference to the accuracy.

I never bother crimping. No need, unless a heavy recoiling rifle or your using a large charge of slow burning powder. The 22 hornet is neither of those. Try knocking a bullet out with a kenetic hammer to see how much neck tension a standard sized case will give, dropping them or chambering a few times will make not a spit of difference to seating depth, at least not enough to matter and if your seating that far out that the rifling is pushing the bullet back into the case your bullet is already seated too far out.

Edited by mick miller

I never bother crimping. No need, unless a heavy recoiling rifle or your using a large charge of slow burning powder. The 22 hornet is neither of those. Try knocking a bullet out with a kenetic hammer to see how much neck tension a standard sized case will give, dropping them or chambering a few times will make not a spit of difference to seating depth, at least not enough to matter and if your seating that far out that the rifling is pushing the bullet back into the case your bullet is already seated too far out.

Too much information.

ringdove look at my posts about reloading .22 hornet there are some prices and couple of pictures with results.

i use lee dies and hand press just have lee scales but would like something self dispensing and or elecronic.

and yes go CZ all the way

Edited by alendil

Thanks, Ive trawled through every post I can find on them :)

Some good news, It looks like my variation has been granted in record time but from ringing around rfds, sourcing a CZ527 in 22 Hornet is going to be a nightmare! I'm being told 2 to 3 months wait minimum.

I've also read about possible scope mouting issues with the scope ethier being too high, or rubbing on the bolt. What scope / mounting combos do people go for? I'd ideally like something at least 50mm objective, with a variable zoom.

Thanks, Ive trawled through every post I can find on them :)

Some good news, It looks like my variation has been granted in record time but from ringing around rfds, sourcing a CZ527 in 22 Hornet is going to be a nightmare! I'm being told 2 to 3 months wait minimum.

I've also read about possible scope mouting issues with the scope ethier being too high, or rubbing on the bolt. What scope / mounting combos do people go for? I'd ideally like something at least 50mm objective, with a variable zoom.

It'll be longer than that for a new one. Mine was over 6 months and that was harrassing the RFD and the importer every day. The importers just feed you lie after lie. It's a joke.