First Shotgun

matgriff

Hi

I just bought my first shotgun. Been shooting on/off for years, mainly air rifles and odd times with a friend who has a Browning Semi auto. I have two Air arms rifles, a TX 200 HC & an S400 (pcp)

A guy I work with had a Winchester 101 XTR lightweight, 27" barrels , came in genuine hard case, including 6 chokes, key, cleaning kit etc... the gun looks almost new, in fact you'd be hard pushed to tell it has ever been used, it's completely unmarked. He said he's had it about 20 years, bought from new and only put around 100 cartridges through it in that time.

He let me have it for £400, which I think is pretty good ?

I've cleaned it (although it was already spotless) but not used it yet.

Any tips or advice on using this particular gun ?

Thanks

Mat

Sounds like you picked up a nice little bargain there. Rest assured you certainly haven't been ripped off. You may well make a profit if and when you decide to sell it.

Never shot one so my only advice is keep the big wooden bit next to your face and try and hit the black clay/feathery things that fly in front of the barrels. :yes:

Best advice I can give - get some lessons from a good coach.

Shotguns are unlike rifles, and whilst rifle shooting is a science - shotgun shooting is different - more of an 'art'.

With a rifle, sights are the key. With a shotgun, you shouldn't even 'see' the gun or 'sights', the target is the key. Watch the target 100% - and a well fitted shogun will hit it without any 'aiming' or 'sighting'.

This is fundamental, which is why a few lessons is a really good starting place on which to build your abilities.

OK guys, thanks for the advice.. I did read up a bit before buying this gun, mostly good reports... but I'm not too precious about this kind of thing, so I think for £400 it'll serve me well as a total novice :-)

Mat

If he bought it from new, it will be about 30 years old, not 20.

"Mostly good reports" - slightly surprised. Other than spares - there are enough about and these are reliable guns - I can't think of any downside to Winchesters. They are fine guns and you have yourself a bit of a bargain.

Hi, yes my mistake... he told me he got in in the late 1980's... which would be nearly 30 yrs ago not 20..time flies :-)

I did read a bit about scarce supply of spares, but to be honest it's like new, so with the moderate use I'll give it I can't imagine it needing any spares for the foreseeable future.

Mat