The sheriffs are coming?

Twistedsanity

Wondered if anyone has used these guys before or had any experience of them ? Just won a court case against my builder who I know has a good few assets knocking about and lots of equity so I'm going to need to send someone round to collect, seems to be a lot of Companies advertising the same service

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is/was a guy on here who is a High Court bailiff. I recall he helped out one or two others who were in a similar situation to you. A long time ago, but I vaguely recall the general advice was to get it to the High Court ASAP. Can't recall the details or name, but a search might prove fruitful.

We chased someone for some money a couple of years back - it wasn't an insubstantial amount either - when we found her and got a CCJ and paid the £75 or whatever it was to escalate it to the High Court they presented her with the writ, she just laughed and said I don't own anything none of its in my name whatsoever. Sneaky cow!

Be very careful when thinking of making someone bankrupt,while it scares many into paying , there are those that welcome being made bankrupt, and once they are you can forget about bailiffs being able to visit him as it all ceases the moment the bankruptcy order is signed, and you may end up with nothing.

He owns all but 30k of.it in joint names with his Mrs, if the bailiffs fail I can put a charge against his house for £150, he's not young and I can get 8% interest so it'll be a nice nest egg, for £1200 I can apply to make him bankrupt as the amount is over £5K

You are probably correct I was just pointing out that people do like to brag that they own there own house when most of the time its the bank that owns it not them untill they finish paying for it in thirty years time.

.....have you spoke to the debtor? You seem to be ready to leave him shirtless at any cost.

Well he hasn't really said that, just that he wants his money.

I live by the rule that if it starts going wrong, it will continue to go wrong, especially when people owe you money. If they have stitched you up, they will probably have done it to others, so why join the back of the queue?

.....have you spoke to the debtor? You seem to be ready to leave him shirtless at any cost.

All the correct procedures have been followed, letter requesting him to discuss the repairs, then a month to reply, then a request for mediation which he ignored, then a final letter before action, then the summons and 28 days to file a defence which he didn't do(he filed the acknowledgement of service so he had the paperwork) he has had 3 months and every opertunity to rectify these problems but has chosen not to for whatever reason, yes I will have the shirt off of his back as hr has had 55k for the work that he left incomplete when I refused to give him any more money as agreed until completion

Well he hasn't really said that, just that he wants his money.

I live by the rule that if it starts going wrong, it will continue to go wrong, especially when people owe you money. If they have stitched you up, they will probably have done it to others, so why join the back of the queue?

He is probably in his 60's now and a bit of a lump, was continualy mentioning the names of all his mates who had a reputation so I guess he hasn't been taken to court before as he attempted on more than one occasion to be intimidating, it's backfired this time as I have known most if his "mates" longer than he has as I went to school with them, he turned up with several different trades and labourers and was clearly confused when I started chatting to them about old times and made them tea :-) if I hadn't called a few friends in to Complete some.of the work he left i wouldn't have realised how bad the roof and a few other bits are until it all started leaking in a year or two by which time he would have downsized his house and dissappeared off into the sunset with his stetson at half mast and his spurs jingling, the quote to put the roof as per the architects spec was £7225+vat on its own, plus 2.5k for the underfloor heating, then there's my driveway he destroyed.......

I hope you manage to resolve it Twistedsanity. There are some evil scrotes about.

If he's a sole trader then his assets are at risk. The chap I sued tried (but failed) to hind behind a Ltd company which he just kept for convenience and for getting out of debts like the one he owed me. The judge saw right through it and wiped the floor with him.

Thanks to the aforementioned high court enforcement officer I got all my money, plus costs, plus court fees, plus interest. Not to mention an enormous amount of satisfaction.

Thanks, he owns his home, has a digger and dumper with trailer on his drive, plus an old range rover and a van and a vw golf, also owns a 20k sunseeker moored in Portsmouth which I know the name and where it's moored :-) I've done my homework before committing to this

Make sure you convey all the information you have to the Girls, that sunseeker sounds interesting :good: