New pb

widgeon man

After my last write up and being out of the country for a week, I expected to find the barley cut and birds spread out over several farms......

What I actually found was more laid barley! It hadn't been cut! Taking the dogs for a mooch after work revealed birds still working the fields, although slightly less than before.

I couldn't return until couple days later, taking a day off I set up where I had previous, just one bird on ff5. Slow start but managed 27 for 32 carts to start so I still had hopes. Then the Flightline strengthened but they showed no interest in my now magnet, cradles and flapper combo, heading to a field over behind. Jumping in the truck I set off to place a banger rope to discover three strong flight lines and birds down feeding hard. Placing banger out I head back, but same scenario. It hadn't caused them to drift back....

Packed up and set up on corner of the other field, with grass adjacent, trying to 'draw' them over the grass. 1-5pm I shot 321, frantic shooting in hot weather! A fantastic afternoon and a rare day to remember! Fields being cut now, just hoping still plenty for the stubbles!

......and just to show it doesn't always go to plan .....

Went out with my grandfather on his perm ( help him setup and ferry kit out for him) we got 39! But the birds have 7 wheat fields in a circle with roost wood in the middle! Ha ha... if you moved them off one, down onto the other side and Flightline changes...

widgeon man, on 16 Jul 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

After my last write up and being out of the country for a week, I expected to find the barley cut and birds spread out over several farms......

What I actually found was more laid barley! It hadn't been cut! Taking the dogs for a mooch after work revealed birds still working the fields, although slightly less than before.

I couldn't return until couple days later, taking a day off I set up where I had previous, just one bird on ff5. Slow start but managed 27 for 32 carts to start so I still had hopes. Then the Flightline strengthened but they showed no interest in my now magnet, cradles and flapper combo, heading to a field over behind. Jumping in the truck I set off to place a banger rope to discover three strong flight lines and birds down feeding hard. Placing banger out I head back, but same scenario. It hadn't caused them to drift back....

Packed up and set up on corner of the other field, with grass adjacent, trying to 'draw' them over the grass. 1-5pm I shot 321, frantic shooting in hot weather! A fantastic afternoon and a rare day to remember! Fields being cut now, just hoping still plenty for the stubbles!

......and just to show it doesn't always go to plan .....

Went out with my grandfather on his perm ( help him setup and ferry kit out for him) we got 39! But the birds have 7 wheat fields in a circle with roost wood in the middle! Ha ha... if you moved them off one, down onto the other side and Flightline changes...

It's not that I'm jealous or anything but have you ever thought of going fishing?? Then you could practice catch and release so some are left for the rest of us! Shoot and release doesn't work, I am told!!

Well done anyway!!