Classic books on Geese and other wildfowl?

srtcan

Hi. I was wondering what you all would consider the classic wildfowling type books? I am especially thinking of geese but others as well.

To be clear, I'm not thinking of books that are focused on -practical- hunting / shooting advice, more books that relate stories (hunting or otherwise), observations of the birds and of nature generally, etc. Books that paint a picture, capture an experience, etc.

To give you a sense, I know of these books, all of which I own, and this is the vein of thing I am interested in:

Peter Scott, Wild Chorus

Peter Scott, Morning Flight

Douglas McDougall, Goose Fever

B.B. - Manka

B.B. - The Idle Countryman

B.B. - Dark Estuary

B.B. - Tides Ending

B.B. - The Sportsman's Bedside Book

B.B. - The Naturalist's Bedside Book

B.B. - The Shooting Man's Bedside Book

B.B. - Ramblings of a Sportsman Naturalist

B.B. - The Autumn Road to the Isles

B.B. - Quiet Fields

B.B. - Indian Summer

Hawker - Shooting Diaries

I have all of these and some other things as well. I think you probably get the type of book I am thinking of. The classic sportsman-naturalist-conservationist sort.

I've seen some other suggestions, such as Bratby and Scott's "Grey Goose" or Cadman's "Tales of a Wildfolwer" though I'm still torn on those. The latter seems more focused on the practical and the former seems to be more about the activity of punting than it is about the birds.

Any recommendations would be helpful!

Edited by srtcan

Today in E.Bay.

Bookseller Image
Kenzie: The Wild-Goose Man

Willock, Colin

Published by Andre Deutsch, London (1962)

Used Hardcover First Edition

Quantity Available: 1

Bookseller Rating: fivestar.gif

Look through what they have on offer as all different prices and versions. Willock was the best in my opinion.

Pushkin :good:

add-to-basket.png
Price: £ 15.50
Convert Currency
Shipping: FREE
Within United Kingdom

Destination, Rates & Spee

Bookseller Image
Kenzie: The Wild-Goose Man

Willock, Colin

Published by Andre Deutsch, London (1962)

Used Hardcover First Edition

Quantity Available: 1

Bookseller Rating: fivestar.gif

add-to-basket.png
Price: £ 15.50
Convert Currency
Shipping: FREE
Within United Kingdom

Destination, Rates & Spee

For me Cadmans Tales of a Wildfowler is equal to many of BBs works and harshly dismissed by srtcan!

Another great often overlooked book is Wild Goose Chase by Coombe Richards.

Saying I'm still torn on it because it seems more directed toward practical hunting considerations is harsh dismissal? :D

Saying I'm still torn on it because it seems more directed toward practical hunting considerations is harsh dismissal? :D

Actually if you want to help sell it to me, upload some images of some of the pages. Those few that I have seen were more focused in the way I described.

Tales of a fowler is one of my favourite books. Great tales of fowling trips. Excellent read.

I'll try and see if I can dig up some page views of it. In your view, would you say it fits the bill of the sort of thing I am looking for? ie. not practical advice / tips focused, but rather more focused on painting a picture of a wildfowling scene?

I've many of the books listed above, but would put: A Pattern Of Wings edited by Jonathon Young, A Fowlers world by Ian Niall, Bill Powell's and BBs at the top of my list.

Arthur Cadman was a good wildfowler, but he was at odds with Bill Powell (and most local wildfowlers) over his sand-crawling on the goose roosts on the Solway.

Douglas McDougall's "Goose Fever" had too much inland decoying for me to enjoy it and I always skip over BB's inland chapters when I'm picking up his books for the umpteenth time.

Glad to see another 'BB' devotee on here.

I'm a big fan of fowling books and have read over 70 works plus about 25 of BB'a works amongst other shooting/Countryside works.

One not mentioned here and it's up there as one of my favourites and will suit the style you are after is ' A fowler world' by Ian Niall.

Oops I now see Penelope has already mentioned it.

Edited by SuperGoose75

I've many of the books listed above, but would put: A Pattern Of Wings edited by Jonathon Young, A Fowlers world by Ian Niall, Bill Powell's and BBs at the top of my list.

Arthur Cadman was a good wildfowler, but he was at odds with Bill Powell (and most local wildfowlers) over his sand-crawling on the goose roosts on the Solway.

Douglas McDougall's "Goose Fever" had too much inland decoying for me to enjoy it and I always skip over BB's inland chapters when I'm picking up his books for the umpteenth time.

Bill Powell and Peter Scott did also not see eye to eye on matters concerning Wild Geese. Although a fan of Peter Scott I tended to agree with Powell's Romantic ideal.

Glad to see another 'BB' devotee on here.

I'm a big fan of fowling books and have read over 70 works plus about 25 of BB'a works amongst other shooting/Countryside works.

One not mentioned here and it's up there as one of my favourites and will suit the style you are after is ' A fowler world' by Ian Niall.

Oops I now see Penelope has already mentioned it.

BB is amazing.