Redundancy notice period

Wiggum

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know when your notice period following redundancy officially starts, as some of you may be aware i've recently been made redundant but the whole process has been handled pretty poorly with none of us recieving written confirmation of final package and appeals process following our 3rd consultation.

At the final consultation meeting I verbally agreed to work 4 weeeks notice with the remaining 8 weeks being paid along with my redundancy pay but was under the impression my notice period commenced on receipt of a confirmation letter so may be able to squeeze an additional months pay out of them. I've asked our HR dept for clarification but they are next to useless as i'm still waiting on the answer to what happens to my workplace pensions contributions that I have paid.

Would any of the pigeon watch massive have any useful advice on the points raised thanks ?

Hi wiggum, been in this situation a few times. Think the notice period depends on how long you have been there and the number of people being made redundant.

Does sound like its being handled really badly, have you got any union representative at all?

I've been made redundant at least three times, and left a couple of places before it happened as hadn't been there long, best thing I can say is have something else lined up job wise so what ever pay out you get is a bonus before you start the new job.

Good luck

I've been in continual employment with the company for 24 years and there's at least 7 employees just from our local office that are being made redundant due to a restructure, thankfully I'm already sorted for work as I'm setting up on my own as a self employed electrician, I'd just like to screw every last penny out of them before I leave 😏

The notice period starts the first full day following the official letter of you being made redundant, this must be in writing as a record, verbally is not correct and you have a case.

I've been made redundant a number of times. My advise is make a note of dates and times for everything through the whole process, if they go outside guidelines you have a case against them. They really need to be on the ball, and it seems they are not, so in theory you could take them to the cleaners and get more out of them.

Lots of info and advise here: http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1611

I've been in continual employment with the company for 24 years and there's at least 7 employees just from our local office that are being made redundant due to a restructure, thankfully I'm already sorted for work as I'm setting up on my own as a self employed electrician, I'd just like to screw every last penny out of them before I leave 😏

That's the way, I've seen guys leave with really nice pay outs after that sort of time, I've always got a few grand and started again elsewhere.

Does seem really strange you not having anything in writing, citizen advice bureau might be a good start, think Davyo off here works for them?? Could be wrong send him a PM, if there a bigger organisation and not following there procedures you could screw them for more cash

That's the way, I've seen guys leave with really nice pay outs after that sort of time, I've always got a few grand and started again elsewhere.

Does seem really strange you not having anything in writing, citizen advice bureau might be a good start, think Davyo off here works for them?? Could be wrong send him a PM, if there a bigger organisation and not following there procedures you could screw them for more cash

Unfortunately I'm only receiving statutory redundancy so it's not a fortune but enough to get me set up with some left over as a safety net whilst I get my business off the ground. I think the problem is they are restructuring as well as centralising all the administration whilst setting on and training the new admin and now reducing the engineering work force so are trying to force through too much change too soon and messing it all up 😂

The notice period starts the first full day following the official letter of you being made redundant, this must be in writing as a record, verbally is not correct and you have a case.

I've been made redundant a number of times. My advise is make a note of dates and times for everything through the whole process, if they go outside guidelines you have a case against them. They really need to be on the ball, and it seems they are not, so in theory you could take them to the cleaners and get more out of them.

Lots of info and advise here: http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1611

Thanks for that very helpful 👍🏻

There is a government department who you can contact. I have found them to be very helpful in the past. I don't think that it is a good idea to mention that you want to screw every penny that you can out of them, but to be able to claim what you are justifiably entitled to. Here is a link? https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-payments-helpline. Keep focused on what you are entitled to and not a hate campaign to screw every penny out of the company. I think that you should be entitled to 13 weeks in lieu of notice - any weeks that you work that you will be paid for just like a normal working week. And probably 1-1/2 weeks basic pay for each FULL year of service up to 20 years. Good luck for your future.

Not 100% on this but not sure if you start your business new job straight away not all redundancy is payable as non working weeks as it's set up to tide you over really.

As say not 100% on this.

Assuming that any compromise agreement doesn't prohibit it then you are free to start new employment or start your own business from the day you are made redundant.

Edited by AVB