land rover defender tidy up

viking

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

picked up a stone chip on the windscreen the other day so bought one of them repair kits after seeing some lad using one on youtube and did a pretty good job,

so off i went, cleaned the surrounding area, got a pin and made sure there were no lose buts in the chip, then stick a sticky pad on over the chip, then stick the plastic thing on, full with the glue stuff,put plunger in and draw it up to pull the air out, leave for 10 mins then take plunger out put it back in then force it down and clip it in place, leave for 20 mins, then take it all off,dab a bit more glue on it and put the patch on and scrape over it with a Stanley blade and leave for an hour, take patch off and scrape off excessive glue, clean and job done :good::good:

camera wouldnt focus very well on the chip

post-9513-0-08655400-1504632078_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-93010500-1504632109_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-13741500-1504632150_thumb.jpg

wasnt sure what to do with these so went for some silver smooth hammerite, sanded them down till they felt nice and smooth them painted them with the hammerite, looked ok when they were wet, but when they dried they looked ****, all lumpy and amateur, so im going to buy some new ones, there only £35 each :good::good:

post-9513-0-29339800-1505063498_thumb.jpg

next job was to remove the sub woofer from under the center arm rest as it was a bit high, although id got used to it, and now it feels all wrong,

took seats out, removed arm rest and sub, took box section out it was sat on, gave it all a good clean and put it back together, and attached the sub the the back of the arm rest, got it all back together and went to check the sub still worked, not that for 1 minute i thought it wouldnt as it only involved undoing 2 lots of clip in wires, did it work. did it **** :hmm::hmm::hmm:help :good:

post-9513-0-79890000-1505064120_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-67288100-1505064129_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-48504700-1505064158_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-04901200-1505064167_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-95038200-1505064188_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-89075700-1505064201_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-42133600-1505064223_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-29578200-1505064234_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-77496100-1505064260_thumb.jpg

more messing about today after discovering the engine was hunting when sat idle, had a look on google for possibility, id come to the conclusion that it might be the suction control valve,

went over the the land rover garage over the road and had a word with them, he said first job he would do is change the fuel filter, so i told him to crack on as he had just finished working on a range rover, so he changed that, cleaned the MAP sensor and the mass airflow sensor, that was clogged up, and as the new door lock had come for the disco i went back home for the disco and got the other lad to sort that out, so handy having a land rover garage over the road, i can new lock the disco and the defender runs much better now, no more hunting, no more jerky driving :good::good::good: still a few more things to do to it to get it spot on, springs seem to be to hard so dont know if someone has changed them in the past,and as it happens someone came in last week in a 2014 defender wanting a 2" lift kit putting on so there are some springs and shockers sat there doing nothing so there going to swap them over thursday or friday and see if its better, and also it needs a new output shaft kit and thats whats causing all the clunking,

post-9513-0-36778100-1505150506_thumb.jpg

more messing about today after discovering the engine was hunting when sat idle, had a look on google for possibility, id come to the conclusion that it might be the suction control valve,

went over the the land rover garage over the road and had a word with them, he said first job he would do is change the fuel filter, so i told him to crack on as he had just finished working on a range rover, so he changed that, cleaned the MAP sensor and the mass airflow sensor, that was clogged up, and as the new door lock had come for the disco i went back home for the disco and got the other lad to sort that out, so handy having a land rover garage over the road, i can new lock the disco and the defender runs much better now, no more hunting, no more jerky driving :good::good::good: still a few more things to do to it to get it spot on, springs seem to be to hard so dont know if someone has changed them in the past,and as it happens someone came in last week in a 2014 defender wanting a 2" lift kit putting on so there are some springs and shockers sat there doing nothing so there going to swap them over thursday or friday and see if its better, and also it needs a clunking, new output shaft kit and thats whats causing all the

there are 3 types/strenghts of spring...hard ....medium....soft..... they are colour coded........check.........

output shaft.....when i had a new 200tdi i needed a new output shaft after 10,000kilometres !!...........the story i tracked down was that they were made in India under liecence and not heat treated properly....the splines on the shaft were 50% worn away....the propshaft was untouched !!.........we refered to the clunking noise as "the death knock"

its a knock of death alright, ok on silky smooth slow gear changes but thats not always possible,there about £130 for a new one and half a days labour, but im hoping my mate can do it for me,

and heres me thinking my messing about with land rover days were over :lol::lol: the springs off the 2014 land rover are black and are factory standard, mine are a rusty colour :lol::lol:

its a knock of death alright, ok on silky smooth slow gear changes but thats not always possible,there about £130 for a new one and half a days labour, but im hoping my mate can do it for me,

and heres me thinking my messing about with land rover days were over :lol::lol: the springs off the 2014 land rover are black and are factory standard, mine are a rusty colour :lol::lol:

all the springs are black....the colours are painted on with a paint brush...just one slash........yellow....green.....or blue.....you have to clean the spring by hand and it should show up

just google "landrover coil spring colour codes"....its all there

Edited by ditchman

looked at stuff like this, none of it makes sense :hmm:

why cant they just say, blue hard, yellow medium, red soft, wouldnt it be funny if thats what they actually were :lol::lol:

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Spring_rates.html

there are many different ones...you need to change the front ones if you have a heavy winch on....different for disco rangy....110....90....blah blah blah...if you are having difficulty i will find the correct ones you want.....take it you want the soft ones as you are not carrying heavy loads..........

"and also it needs a new output shaft kit and thats whats causing all the clunking"

my puma has always been a bit clunky if you rush the gear changes, seems like some sort of backlash ! my nephew has a puma that he has had from new and that does the same, I thougt it was just a puma trait? think maybe I am wrong.

i read it was a land rover thing, but then read more to suggest they shouldnt be like that at all, yes a smooth gear change should be preformed but now and a gain its not possible, and i cant do with that horrid clunk, my understanding is it could be a few things on maybe a few things, A Frame ball joint, prop uj's, half shafts and flanges a couple of other things but the mail culprit seems to be the output shaft, smart money says if your keeping it a while or you do a lot of miles then the ashcroft kit is the one to go for as they seem to of solved the problem of it drying out and happening again by using there "kit" twice the price as a normal one though but in the long run potentially saving on labour costs, ill be having mine done in a week or 2 so will see if its that or not, ill be gutted if its not :good::good: and i think its more of a puma thing with them having to bridge the gap between the gearbox and transfer box, and the fact that thousands were not greased in factory like they should of been, think thats how i read it, so either i sound like i know what im talking about :good::good: or im just talking **** :lol::lol: