coggies

vampire

It's your choice; I would leave as is IF the original finish is reasonable, but if it has been allowed to get very scruffy and shows signs of corrosion and neglect, then I very probably would at least 'tidy up'. What I wouldn't want is to have an old gun looking like it just left the showrooms shiny brand new. Guns generally age 'gracefully' and a few genuine wear and tear marks are all part of the gun's history.

I new someone who had a lovely Purdey - and over the years, the bluing on the barrels had worn away where his left hand had held it. This was genuine wear - there was no pitting or corrosion - just genuine handling wear, and I thought it added character.

And to take the opposite viewpoint, I personally like to refinish back to showroom condition on an old gun... because I know that as I use it, the condition will mellow again and develop patina once more, but this time without all the knocks and scratches it had before.

Thanks that's the view i take,just wondered if its a no no and devalues it.

Thanks for replies.