Bean stubble double!

Wilksy II

I've been watching some bean stubble for a friend since last Thursday when it was cut, the farm drills in blocks so there is two massive fields and one smaller one all together,but with plenty of hedges and trees to set up on.

the pigeons found it by Saturday but Monday was the first chance we had to shoot it, the birds hadn't been turning up till 12/1pm so we set up for 12 both under a sitty tree a 100yrds apart pigeons came lovely to both of us from the outset, I had a magnet and flapper and 10 shells, my mate had 12 shells and a flapper we wrapped up at 5pm with 96, 47 falling to my gun my new pb! Also I should mention I took all shot birds in to avoid fly blow so they decoyed to shells!

Today saw us set out again to try our luck, although we had had steady trade last time we had noticed a lot of traffic over the far end of the field and we decided to set up there, not much movement at 11:30 to give us a clue but we picked our spots and set up. Same pattern as before.

again the birds came well,more so to my mate by the sound of it, but as the day wore on it turned out I'd plonked myself under a flightline cross roads with birds coming from three directions! But I'd tucked myself in a hawthorn hedge and restricted my shooting so I decided stand 5yrds to one side of my hide and had some fantastic sport from 3pm till 4:30pm,every shot in the book, and a lot of cartridges later we packed up at 5pm 49 for my pal, 50 for me! (Pb again!) I'd guess over 50% of all the birds shot were young un's and we both agreed there is still another day to be had as long as the stubble remains.

Excellent report Wilksy, You have put a fair bit of effort into your pigeon shooting this year and are now reaping the rewards. Fair play to you. :good:

Surely a picture or two to follow though?

Cheers Aga man, kind of you to say.

Unfortunately no pics for some reason I totally forgot to take any! That said I'd have had to text them to you as I can't post pics!

Nice one ,i thought that we were shooting a lot of young birds yesterday but most are going through a moult.

They look to have a really good year, quite a few are just getting there neck bars but then some are just off the nest, all very good eating, me and the girls have just polished off young pigeon and chips!