Fordson super major restoration

viking

so am i might be next on the list

im now looking on the internet for a black knob, whos this "long dong silver" who keeps popping up :lol::lol::lol::lol:

i was looking for you and i found a page on e-bay full of knobs..........and stuff

i was looking for you and i found a page on e-bay full of knobs..........and stuff

once you have got that ...you will be able to raise you arms and pull your knob out....it will be safe then...

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so am i might be next on the list

im now looking on the internet for a black knob, whos this "long dong silver" who keeps popping up :lol::lol::lol::lol:

once you have got that ...you will be able to raise you arms and pull your knob out....it will be safe then...

Viking and Ditchman appearing soon in Knob-hunters the series! :rolleyes:

Blimey

8 pages and barely even started ;-)

I can see this going on till everyone wish each other a Merry Christmas and cant wait for it to continue into the new year , and quite rightly so , there are loads of retired ( sons of the soil ) who is finding this thread taking them back to the days when farming was replacing horses with these small tractors and the thrill of driving one for the first time.

I know nothing about the ins and out of tractors but I love the friendly banter and with ditchy being the un appointed project manager I am sure we will have a few more larfs yet :good:

seriously now........................that spool valve block is the modern version....and the services valve is in a slightly different position.............im not sure but i think the spool valve shaft DOES NOT HAVE A BLACK KNOB ON IT................i think.....

....it has a knurled/shaped aluminium knob on it and is held in position by a roll pin.......................just check that one out you boys... :hmm:

Just find me what I need old boy. Seen as your the project manager.

Black knobs have a brass insert in them which is threaded...so they screw on to the threads on the valve stem...........your stem is plain with a hole drilled thr' it....so some sort of knob goes on it and is held in position by a roll pin.................

just go and get a 4" nail or summat and put thro that hole , ...check its clear and see if you can pull that valve stem in and out...should get it in 3 positions..........make sure you dont start the enjine whilst you are messing with it ...until you know what everything is for.......

Just had a bit of a result. I got in touch with the bloke I got the tractor off informing that I did t think it was actually a new performance super major. He said that he bought it as one some time ago. I said that I think Iv over paid if its just a normal super major by about £500. He seemed the nicest guy in the world. He said if I want happy then he would give e a full refund including the money I spent having it picked up. And that he would have someone pick it back up. Or he would refund me £500 if I was happy to keep it at that.

Hell yes Im happy at that👍👍

Just had a bit of a result. I got in touch with the bloke I got the tractor off informing that I did t think it was actually a new performance super major. He said that he bought it as one some time ago. I said that I think Iv over paid if its just a normal super major by about £500. He seemed the nicest guy in the world. He said if I want happy then he would give e a full refund including the money I spent having it picked up. And that he would have someone pick it back up. Or he would refund me £500 if I was happy to keep it at that.

Hell yes Im happy at that

dont understand this..................are you getting rid of the tractor now .......explain....what is "a new performance super major"..?

Edited by ditchman

He appears to have gained a refund as he was over charged!

dont know what the refund is .......as the pics i have been looking at on the farming forum shows that the valve block IS THE NEW PERFORMANCE DESIGN..........the old style major block is completly different................so it appears he has got what he wanted anyway............

As I explained in an earlier thread. Mine is a 1963 made March. The new performance didnt come out till June 1963. They changed the colour to what mine is in 1963 so the colour will be the same. And there are some differences as I also explained in an earlier post. Hence me thinking its just a super major and not a new performance super major. So as he maybe said it was something it wasnt.

Ill have a look for that then. Mine was built in March 1963. So technically cant be a new performance. Hence me paying more than I would if Id if known it was just a super major. Even though that colour was only done 63-64. So is still a limited run. But not as limited as the NP. Hence the £500 refund.

Ill have a look for that then. Mine was built in March 1963. So technically cant be a new performance. Hence me paying more than I would if Id if known it was just a super major. Even though that colour was only done 63-64. So is still a limited run. But not as limited as the NP. Hence the £500 refund.

there are some other identifying marks regards the gear ratio's....which i will tell you about if needed................

according to the old died in the wool ploughmen...they preferred the straight super major not the new performance major as the gear ratios were better for ploughing..........

the new performance super major was built in july 1963 serial # 08c-960337-f.........the final one was built oct '64....08c-976148-l

the NPSMajor....had the letters FL cast into the cylinder head just above the injector pump..........

think my book says different, and there is no FL on the casting,if i was looking in the right place

post-9513-0-34249900-1508776627_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-78311300-1508776763_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-15762900-1508776788_thumb.jpg

right things are going fine ... :good::good: well done.. :yahoo: .............

1. the "tee" peice that spewed the oil out is a "add on"..........you dont need it.....it must be replaced with a blanking plug.....to make it standard
  2. arms stayed up ....good its working
  3. oil has water / condensation init.....
  4. needs to be changed...dont worry it hasnt done any harm ..as its built to take poo like this
  5. take spool valve off......easy job and check the valve is not rusted....just clean it off and replace "o"rings gasket ..jobs a gooden... :good::good::good:

you are doing fine boy...........

you will have to bear with me as i dont get everything right as its 40 years ago since i drove and serviced these....

Edited by ditchman

right things are going fine ... :good::good: well done.. :yahoo: .............

1. the "tee" peice that spewed the oil out is a "add on"..........you dont need it.....it must be replaced with a blanking plug.....to make it standard
  2. arms stayed up ....good its working
  3. oil has water / condensation init.....
  4. needs to be changed...dont worry it hasnt done any harm ..as its built to take poo like this
  5. take spool valve off......easy job and check the valve is not rusted....just clean it off and replace "o"rings gasket ..jobs a gooden... :good::good::good:

you are doing fine boy...........

you will have to bear with me as i dont get everything right as its 40 years ago since i drove and serviced these....

where is the oil from, and can i take the T piece off and that tap thing and the pipe :hmm: