Scope magnification

Dunkield

There have been a few posts recently where mag has ben discussed, and clearly some people feel they need more than others, and some poeple are happy with open sights.

I will lay all my cards on the table up front.

I have 3 rifles.

1) .22 rimfire with a Meopta 7x50 fixed - great scope for rabbits out to about 70-80 yards, never felt the need for anything more, in fact it replaced 3-9x50 Hawke that was used on 7x all the time. The only difference being the optics, the Meopta is much clearer and pulls in the light well.

2) .223 has a 4-16x50 Swarovski, I got this because it came up on ebay right at the time I was looking for new scope, I hardly ever use 16x, as it gets a bit parallax fussy and eye releif becomes critical, but I wind it up to about 12x or 14x for load testing.

3) 6.5 has a 3-12x50 Swarovski, propably the best scope I will ever own, I needed a scope to do everything from driven game to load testing, and this will do all that. Previously this rifle had 6x42 S&B which was is the perfect stalking scope for anything out to 200 yards, I used red dot for driven game trip, but next time I go I will just wind it back to 3x.

So the question is, are we all using more a more magnification because we can, or do we feel it makes us better shots?

Simmons Blazer 3-9 x 50 on my .22 I set it at 9 pretty much all of the time.

MTC Viper 4-16 x 50 on the .223 I set it at 10, although going walkabout in daylight it's set at 4 incase of Mr Fox putting in a land speed record attempt.

Nightforce 3.5-15 x 50 (going up for sale soon) used to be set at 7 all of the time.

Usually dial up the mag when I need a closer look at something or am taking a longer shot. Low mag accuracy doesn't work for me, just can't see what I'm meant to be aiming at, which isn't much help.

.243 3X9X50 LEUPOLD....always on 9

.22 3x9x40 NIKKO STERLING...mostly on 8,but do get alot of close up shots so need the variable.Will be replacing this soon as i prefer a50 object lense for last light shooting.Am undecided on power,was gonna get a stronger mag but you got me thinking "do i need it" :unsure:

GH

JOHN in buy sell swap section Vegeta is after a Nightforce scope.

.243 wears a 2.5 - 10 x 42 Swaro. I very rarely move it off 9x unless in woodland, where I reduce the mag.

.270 wears a 6 x 42 Schmidt & Bender and I've never needed anything more than the 6x.

I think quality of optics means more than large magnifications.

I started out using 18 mag on my HMR and have slowly bought it down bit by bit. I don't know why I used the higher mag over the lower, just got caught up in that more is better. Well its not in my opinion now. Iam now down to 8x mag on it and he furthest shot to date was a rabbit at 170 yards. So I dont really see that i'll ever really need much more than 10-12 ever. Theres also the gain in clarity at the lower mags.

I think quality of optics means more than large magnifications.

'CLUNK'

The sound of the nail being hit on it's head :angry:

I spotted a rabbit laying down (ears folded flat down along it's back) in a shallow hole on Saturday morning.

There could have been no more than an inch of him visible above the grass, and I picked that up at about 60yards or so with my binos.

They are 'only' 7x42 but extremely good quality.

Better still, I managed to shoot him in that position :unsure:

Hello on my .22rf is a 4x32 dose me but would like a 3x9x40 or so.

On my 22.250 is a 2.5x10x56 S&B.

On my 25/06 is a 2.5x10x42 swarovski.

Both these scope's were good deal's so i got them.They are genraly on 6x & more at foxing/paper or when needed.I would like a S&B 4x16x50 & or 6x24x50 swarovski on both my rifle's or proberly 1 of each when i can afford it.I have used both these scope's & as Oly say's quality is the key & my personal choice in scope's.At 100-200m shooting 16x power is more than you can realy use at that range but i have used the swarovski 6x24x50 where i can see roe 700/800m away & used to see what they are & how good but at shooting 16x was the max i could use relisticly.

I have a 3-9x40) AGS Sapphire on my air rifle. I vary greatly depending on what sort of shooting im doing. If down on the bipod shooting long range rabbits I wind it up to full as I find looking at the target closely to calculate the holdover is easier than trying to use the mildots which are too far apart. :unsure: If waiting up outside a warren I rarely go higher that 6.

FM :angry:

stuartp

I was only thinking the same the other day.

I have just bought a new scope to go on my new rifle ( a 204 ) and after reading all the hype and talk on this and other forums about high mag scopes I bought a 6-24 which I have put on a .223 just to try it out. Having tried it out I just know I will never use it beyond about 12x its just to much in your face.

My favorite is 3-9 which seems to be just right.

On my 6.5 I have a 11/2-6, the .223 and .243 have 8x56 and the HMR and .22lr both have 3-9. And as I have said the .204 will wear the ridiculous 6-24.

I think Grahame has made the right decision, 8x56 on everything. The rest is fashion !!!

Charlie

6 x 42 Swaro on my rimmy

2.5 - 10 x 56 Swaro on my 0.223. leave it on 10 mag normally

4 - 12 x 50 Swaro on my 0.17. Normally leave it on 10 mag.

The 6 x 42 Swaro was a revelation on the rimmy in terms of light pick up at dusk. Until I got this I always used a fairly good 2.8 - 10 x 44 Simmons.

Don

There have been a few posts recently where mag has ben discussed, and clearly some people feel they need more than others, and some poeple are happy with open sights.

I will lay all my cards on the table up front.

I have 3 rifles.

1) .22 rimfire with a Meopta 7x50 fixed - great scope for rabbits out to about 70-80 yards, never felt the need for anything more, in fact it replaced 3-9x50 Hawke that was used on 7x all the time. The only difference being the optics, the Meopta is much clearer and pulls in the light well.

2) .223 has a 4-16x50 Swarovski, I got this because it came up on ebay right at the time I was looking for new scope, I hardly ever use 16x, as it gets a bit parallax fussy and eye releif becomes critical, but I wind it up to about 12x or 14x for load testing.

3) 6.5 has a 3-12x50 Swarovski, propably the best scope I will ever own, I needed a scope to do everything from driven game to load testing, and this will do all that. Previously this rifle had 6x42 S&B which was is the perfect stalking scope for anything out to 200 yards, I used red dot for driven game trip, but next time I go I will just wind it back to 3x.

So the question is, are we all using more a more magnification because we can, or do we feel it makes us better shots?

I have an old 4x81 Pecar Berlin which I almost got rid of, its an excellent low light scope and 4x is just right at dusk.

Whilst on the subject I read, I think it was on a pinned topic, that any scope without Parrallax adjustment under performs at over 100yds range, any comments?

:D D2D

Whilst on the subject I read, I think it was on a pinned topic, that any scope without Parrallax adjustment under performs at over 100yds range, any comments?

I have a Weaver 3-9X50 (set on X8 mag) that doesn't have parallax adjustment and it performs excellently at any range from 30yds up to infinity.

I once tried a PX scope and spent more time pi$$ing about with the range than I did shooting it. Much prefer PX free scopes.

G.M.

cough** 12-42x56 **cough

I just bought a 12-42x56 NXS scope (my laser card is still smoking a bit)

In general I use as much magnification as is needed. If the cross hairs are covering the target I will zoom in a bit more to make sure I have a clean shot.

Shooting at 300 yards I was using an 18x bushnell banner scope (not the best in the world but functional) and the thinkness of the cross hairs nearly blocked out a 1.5 inch bull. So how people are successfully hitting rabbits (well I'd hit the rabbit but a head shot it would not be) at 170 yards with only 8x mag boggles the mind.

I use as much mag as is needed depending on the situation.

For me anyway i found when shooting targets at 100yards the difference between 10x and 14x huge i just couldnt shoot as well with x10 at all i just like the extra mag and it works better for me so i use it i could imagine though with top quaility scopes and a good thin crosshairs 10x would be fine because you can see the target so well but for headshooting bunnies out to 100yards has to be at least 16x for me