Best day out for a while.

Clodhopper

Today I went to a field i had seen a lot of pigeons on the previous day. However there was zero wind today which meant that the already skittish birds were coming into the field from a great height.

I set up a hide in some maize under the strongest flightline with a dozen shells on the drilling in front. No birds for the magnet so i would have to wait to put that out. The birds returned in good numbers but passed over me out of shot, at least for my ability. They did not seem interested in the decoys but landed in each of 3 spinneys on the field boundary. They would then lift off, disappear to woods in the distance and then the process would repeat.

After an hour and or so i decided to up sticks and make for the spinney at the top end of the field, no hide just a magnet and battery. I concealed myself in some thick brambles and managed to drop a dozen birds in the hour i spent there.

The reason for the title is that my six year old boy came out with me for his first day out shooting, absolutely loved it and is asking when we are going again which made my day.

Really pleased with how enthusiastic he was with all of it.

In another post JDog mentioned that he had seen migratory birds displaying similar behaviour and i suspect this was the case today as i was up on the wolds not a million miles away.

Wind will definitely help.

Another day in the field, more experience and a bit more learned.