Essex Certificate Applications. How long from the visit?

Mistydc

Hi All, 

My SO and I applied for our shotgun certs from Essex police back in June and finally had someone visit us on Friday last week. He told us we were approved and that we just had to get our cabinet and security in place and wait for the back office stuff and we’d get our certs. What I’d like to know is does anyone  know how long it’s currently taking from visit to actual receipt of the certificates? 

Thanks. 

Edited by Mistydc
Additional details

40 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

They will probably want another visit to check your cabinet, when my mate applied for his SGC he didn't have the cabinet in place and the FEO came back once it was installed and brought his cert with him. I had mine installed before my visit so can only go on my mate's experience.

Thanks. How long after your visit did you get yours? 

On 22/11/2017 at 23:30, Newbie to this said:

They will probably want another visit to check your cabinet, when my mate applied for his SGC he didn't have the cabinet in place and the FEO came back once it was installed and brought his cert with him. I had mine installed before my visit so can only go on my mate's experience.

Hi my son in law has recently got his cert from Essex Police - he had to have some extra medical checks done which delayed it to about 7 weeks, his work colleague got his in 4 weeks without any extra checks again from Essex Police, hope this helps atb

1 minute ago, Fatcatsplat said:

They don't need to check your cabinet if it's a 1st grant of a certificate. If you haven't got a gun, you don't need anywhere to store it until you do have one.

So you then have to find a gun, get your cabinet installed, wait for the police to come and inspect you cabint/security then purchase the gun to be stored?

One of the first questions my FEO asked when arranging the visit, was have you already got you security/cabinet installed, and he definitely wanted to inspect it to make sure it was securely fixed to a solid wall.

No you don't. I had my certificate granted and bought a gun and cabinet 3 months or so later at the CLA. Essex police called me on the phone after 3 or 4 months and asked if I had a cabinet for the gun and were happy with my response. They called me up again a year or so later to ask how I had 4 guns in a 2 gun takedown cabinet and were happy again when I told them I'd upgraded to a bigger cabinet. Didn't physically see anybody until my 5 years were up for renewal.

3 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

No you don't. I had my certificate granted and bought a gun and cabinet 3 months or so later at the CLA. Essex police called me on the phone after 3 or 4 months and asked if I had a cabinet for the gun and were happy with my response. They called me up again a year or so later to ask how I had 4 guns in a 2 gun takedown cabinet and were happy again when I told them I'd upgraded to a bigger cabinet. Didn't physically see anybody until my 5 years were up for renewal.

Well the MET would have none of that, they insisted on seeing my mates cabinet before his SGC was granted, he had his interview and they said all is good, just get your cabinet installed, give us a ring and well come and inspect it. His FEO brought his cert with him, inspected the cabinet and gave him his cert. The FEO who did my visit, wanted to know if my cabinet was in place before he came, he didn't say it was essential, just said if it wasn't it would mean a second visit to inspect it, hence I installed mine before. That's the MET though, I've never dealt with Essex.

15 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Well, it's an Essex thread...

Fair point, but you would think it would be a requirement, what's to stop you from never installing any security? Just went by my own experience and thought all Forces would want to make sure the security is in place before issuing,  if only to cover themselves!

• 2 weeks later...