An embarrassing session (sporting clays)

DanBettin

How important do you think your mental game is when it comes to shooting?

Been making great progress lately, hitting all sorts of moderately difficult targets consistently, the ones with a bit of distance I'm struggling with but making improvements.

Took a few friends out (all new to shooting) on the weekend and had a million things on my mind, making sure everyone was safe, making sure everyone enjoyed it etc. etc. and missed majority of what I shot at. Head just wasn't in it, for some reason when I'm not relaxed I tend to shoot under the clay (I think it's because I'm too nervous to let it out of my sight by get 'up' to it and blotting it out when I need to).

Someone reassure me by telling me these shocking days are typical when your head's elsewhere. I thought even with distractions I'd be smashing most of them but seems the mental side to this sport is MASSIVE.

I'm not going to feel right again until I get to shoot and redeem myself on Saturday!

I guess it is part of the learning process.

Pretty frustrating, I can deal with the embarrassment in front of friends, but I think the real hit comes from the fact that, the way I shot, it's as though I hadn't dedicated a ton of time and money into it. Rather deflating.

I think I also need to get to some different shooting grounds, this was the first time I'd been here, totally different clays - I think I'm sticking to my comfort zone with the ground I go to since I know their layout like the back of my hand.

Edited by DanBettin

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

In order to improve you need to shoot at lots of different grounds, I think it is too early to be hosting loads of others as it appears that was causing your problem.

I think if your mates have already been before it's probably different, if I took them back again I'd be a lot more relaxed and so (I'd hope!) I performed a bit better. I think it threw me off because as TC said I was hosting, which meant I had a million things going on. Also, they had the expectation I'd be great since I've been going for a while so didn't feel great performing terribly. I do go with mates now and then who also go often, we're on each other's case too, I'm OK with that pressure I think. Strange.

IF, I take my Son in Law and Grandkids to the local club, I never even consider shooting. In all the years that I ran a shooting ground, I do not think I shot more than a dozen times on that ground. I would go midweek to other grounds and just shoot, then go home, no pressure  ! 

I'm fairly consistently awful at clays, but would class myself as a respectable shot on game, pigeon and Wildfowl. I can never get into the right mind, too much time to think about it, with too many people watching! But every season I do the same thing, book a driven day, go to the clay ground to get my eye in, shoot like a bag of cack and then regret ever going!

Although I really enjoy it I am not a "good/natural" shotgun user. I do find I manage well enough when rough/instinctive shooting by myself but "crumble" into a poor shot when watched by an audience or otherwise put under pressure.Fortunately I am better talented with a rifle.

3 hours ago, Westley said:

IF, I take my Son in Law and Grandkids to the local club, I never even consider shooting. In all the years that I ran a shooting ground, I do not think I shot more than a dozen times on that ground. I would go midweek to other grounds and just shoot, then go home, no pressure  ! 

That's pretty extreme, it's interesting that - since I've always thought with my own ground I'd be out there every day, but you've obviously felt what I felt on Sunday with that pressure looming. Thanks for sharing mate.

1 hour ago, kennett said:

I'm fairly consistently awful at clays, but would class myself as a respectable shot on game, pigeon and Wildfowl. I can never get into the right mind, too much time to think about it, with too many people watching! But every season I do the same thing, book a driven day, go to the clay ground to get my eye in, shoot like a bag of cack and then regret ever going!

45 minutes ago, drut said:

Although I really enjoy it I am not a "good/natural" shotgun user. I do find I manage well enough when rough/instinctive shooting by myself but "crumble" into a poor shot when watched by an audience or otherwise put under pressure.Fortunately I am better talented with a rifle.

I can't say I'm a natural myself, but I've got an obsessive personality. So rather than just dismiss it as not my forte I'm hooked on trying to progress. I'm happy so far, to be honest - I think I have been sticking with the easier familiar birds  but even when not - I'm making decent progress, but I shot like that bag of cack you  mentioned with 7 of my pals looking on with great expectation. 

Edited by DanBettin

What you experienced is absolutely normal, you have high days and you have low days and the more pressure that you put upon yourself the harder you make it to have a high day.

Shoot at as many different grounds and as many different target presentations as you can.  Although it is nice to have that go to stand where you can evaporate the clay and feel that you are the best thing ever, if you are staying within your comfort zone you will never progress.

The low days are actually much more important than the high days because it is on the low days that you discover and learn the most, either about your lack of technique, your lack of experience or just how to handle your own expectations when it just doesn't come together.  Recognising the weaknesses mean that you know where to focus to make improvement.

It is often trotted out as a bit of a cliche, but booking yourself some lessons with a good coach will transform your game as well.