Varied diet

Blackpowder

Just butchered 4 pigeon shot last night as they came to roost.   With a bit of snow on the ground I thought all four would be stuffed with OSR.  Not so. One had a mixture of stubble barley and ditto beans  plus a few pieces of clover.   Next had sort of semi clean barley including full heads, not muddy but more like from a standing crop.  Number three full of pheasant feeder wheat and number four stuffed with clover.  So no certain pointer at where to seek feeding birds.

Blackpowder

I shot several pigeons in a wood not far from you two weeks ago, near where there were huge numbers on beans last year, and some were full of clean barley. I cannot for the life of me fathom where they got that from unless they had been in a grain store which seems unlikely.

I

5 hours ago, JDog said:

I shot several pigeons in a wood not far from you two weeks ago, near where there were huge numbers on beans last year, and some were full of clean barley. I cannot for the life of me fathom where they got that from unless they had been in a grain store which seems unlikely.

It would not surprise me if pigeons were picking up grain from fed flight ponds.