Boiler Grants

Jonty

I thought this was too good to be true ... Until yesterday.

i had some trouble with my oil boiler which the guys of the PW collective were extremely helpful in resolving.  This got me looking at new boilers as mine is best part of 25 years old.  To cut a long story short, I found a load of information on companies offering 'free' boilers under the government Eco grant.  A quick look into it, and if you meet certain, very basic criteria (receipt of certain benefits, low income, old inefficient boiler, homeowner etc) you could be eligible for a replacement boiler.  I still doubted this as although my wife receives a benefit due to her health, I am on a relatively good wage, but we made a call, had a ten minute conversation with one of the firms offering this service, had a site survey last night and are booked in to have a new oil boiler fitted in three weeks time, grand cost = £0.00

i understand that sometimes there can be a contribution required, and it is usually more with a gas boiler, but if any of you folks out there meet some of the criteria listed above, it would certainly be worth looking into this, there is also help available for loft and wall insulation too. 

If you pay for car insurance and never have a crash it's the same thing, but do you moan about that? Some people have extremely unfortunate lives and the welfare state should rightly be there to make their lives easier, but paying companies to fit boilers for nothing because you tick enough boxes to get away with it is not what the welfare state should be funding.

21 minutes ago, Tim Kelly said:

***. Nanny state at its worst. You earn a relatively good wage, then pay for your boiler like everyone else.

That didn't take long... I sincerely hope you never find yourself in the same family circumstances that mean we are entitled to it Tim.

7 minutes ago, Tim Kelly said:

If you pay for car insurance and never have a crash it's the same thing, but do you moan about that? Some people have extremely unfortunate lives and the welfare state should rightly be there to make their lives easier, but paying companies to fit boilers for nothing because you tick enough boxes to get away with it is not what the welfare state should be funding.

There’s a lot of elderly people out there that have inefficient boilers that cost an arm and a leg to run, they have only the state pension to live on, fortunately we don’t need any help but there are plenty who do tick all the boxes.

I presume your first post was generalisation of anyone who works?

The OP said that he earns a relatively good wage. In that case you shouldn't need state handouts. It ought to be a safety net, not a subsidisation program.

28 minutes ago, Jonty said:

That didn't take long... I sincerely hope you never find yourself in the same family circumstances that mean we are entitled to it Tim.

I'm very sorry your life has taken an unfortunate turn. I hope things improve for you.

8 minutes ago, Tim Kelly said:

The OP said that he earns a relatively good wage. In that case you shouldn't need state handouts. It ought to be a safety net, not a subsidisation program.

I'm very sorry your life has taken an unfortunate turn. I hope things improve for you.

Agreed if you can afford it then yes, as there are more needy people out there, I think a lot of it is to-do with the “green” issue of inefficient boilers.

What’s even stranger than this is that it also applies to rented properties. I’m lucky enough to have an investment property which I rent out to a friend and her family who are on some sort of benefit. Based on their situation they were able to get a gas boiler fitted to my property for free. I thought it was too good to be true but it happened without problem, fitted by British Gas engineers.

before the barage starts, as already has about the OP and his financial situation, just because someone owns property doesn’t make them cash wealthy. I wouldn’t be in a position to replace a working boiler in order to purely improve its efficiency and would rely on the insurance I have to replace it should it get beyond repair.

To start off with I was a bit annoyed that tax money is being spent in such a way as I didn’t feel entitled to it. However after chats with people I work with, one highlighted replacing the boiler with an energy efficient type, whilst improving the property, more importantly is meant to lower the energy bill of the occupier who by virtue of receiving a benefit is one of the more vulnerable/cash poor in society.

7 hours ago, Tim Kelly said:

It’s a good job it doesn’t then, it’s got nothing to do with the welfare state. It’s the energy companies that pay for them.

Edited by proud dad

The Eco grant system is neither a welfare grant or a state handout, it's an environmental incentive forced on energy companies to improve inefficient properties. It just so happens that the criteria the government established include a benefit related criteria.  The funding is there and my aim in posting was to point anyone out there towards it in case they may benefit from it whilst the scheme is still running.  I'll leave you to your opinions Tim, you're welcome to them.

3 hours ago, Tim Kelly said:

Will they give me a new car to replace my diesel car which is now deemed an environmental vandal? 

I'm sure if it was powered by an inefficient oil boiler, and your principles would allow you, then fill you boots.

6 hours ago, Tim Kelly said:

Will they give me a new car to replace my diesel car which is now deemed an environmental vandal? 

Calm down . :/ 

i had a brand boiler installed on the grant 8 years ago. I work 60-80 hours a week . Pay  so much tax through being self employed it’s untrue. 

I qualifed because I have children under a certain age and my boiler was about dead. 

They also redone my loft insulation ( anyone gets that grant) 

im no scrounger but it was offered so I took it. I also have tax credits to pay my nursery fees. It enables my mrs to work. She could earn more on the dole but we work. 

Edited by team tractor