............... and then the wind dropped.

JDog

Clodhopper and I met up for an afternoon session today. Seeing the forecast for heavy showers we agreed that setting up hides and getting wet was low down on the option list so we decided to flight pigeons returning to the rape field.

The setting is a spectacular escarpment edge with a flat field of rape in the bottom of the valley. Pigeons go back a mile or so to their resting wood once full of rape or if they are disturbed. If the wind is right they are just about shootable when they return.

We kept them off the field for a while, some returning in groups and others singularly into a 25 mph wind but the large flocks stayed away for a while, just what we wanted. Great stuff. These were shootable pigeons at 35 to 45m high and we had a marvellous time shooting some of those. Just when the larger flocks began to return the wind just about went completely and the returning pigeons came back at 60 to 80m high which was a pity and we decided to pack up as none were presenting themselves within range.

Edited by JDog

After overnight and early morning heavy rain the sky cleared and we ended up with a nigh on perfect day if you were decoying , but with the first day of roost shooting tomorrow,  it might be better to wait a day so there will be more guns out and hopefully keep some on the move as I am going in a little wood on the edge of a large rape field where a few pigeons have been feeding , although weather wise today would have been the better day for shooting after hearing tomorrows forecast  .

After reading the thread about the long range 22 shot at a rabbit I am sure there are some who can handle pigeons at 60 to 80 m high , but sorry to say ( or glad to say ) I am not one of them . GOOD LUCK if anyone is out in the woods tomorrow .

Shame the wind didn't keep up for you, there was a good wind at lunchtime here.

I have had to miss our first roost tonight due to nursing a bad back, but as it happens the wind dropped here too and the wood I had in mind needs a wind so perhaps I didn't miss much.

It was a shame about the wind as the birds were keen to get back but were simply too high. We both had some lovely birds and the dogs had some good retrieves. We picked 16, losing 2 over a normally quite country lane that turned into a major diversion route due to a nearby accident. If we get the right wind and work does not get in the way, an exciting afternoon will be on the cards.