Have you ever wondered?

JDog

Why, long after Autumn in very cold weather and snow that some plants lose their leaves?

Many common garden plants like Viburnum rhytidophyllum, Ligustrum vulgare and Cotoneaster salicifolius are losing a lot of their leaves during this cold snap. All evergreens like those ones actually take up water every day of the year if it is available and when it is not available due to it being locked up by frost then the plants shed their leaves in order to safeguard the plants future. Next years buds have already been formed and the leaves are no longer required.

These are some leaves in the road this morning having been shed from gardens nearby.

winter_leaves_1.jpg

For those of you whose Privet hedges like this one are defoliating then fear not as they will recover.

winter_leaves_2.jpg

This Aucuba japonica in my own garden is showing signs of stress due to the lack of water. It will recover fully.

winter_leaves_3.jpg

29 minutes ago, JDog said:

Why, long after Autumn in very cold weather and snow that some plants lose their leaves?

Many common garden plants like Viburnum rhytidophyllum, Ligustrum vulgare and Cotoneaster salicifolius are losing a lot of their leaves during this cold snap. All evergreens like those ones actually take up water every day of the year if it is available and when it is not available due to it being locked up by frost then the plants shed their leaves in order to safeguard the plants future. Next years buds have already been formed and the leaves are no longer required.

These are some leaves in the road this morning having been shed from gardens nearby.

winter_leaves_1.jpg

For those of you whose Privet hedges like this one are defoliating then fear not as they will recover.

winter_leaves_2.jpg

This Aucuba japonica in my own garden is showing signs of stress due to the lack of water. It will recover fully.

winter_leaves_3.jpg

I  was wondering that earlier JDog. Leaves limp and curling on privet hedge  and others droping. I thought it was wind burn.  NB

I have large Holm Oak (evergreen oak) trees on my drive, and there were also some on council owned property across the road.  

In 1981 it was VERY cold here, (-20ºC was recorded) and the Holm oaks shed all their leaves.  The council immediately cut down those trees on their property (despite them being listed) and when people complained they were told by the council that they were dead and wouldn't grow back. 

Well, the ones on my drive are still doing fine - leaves came back in August after the cold winter - and they have been fine since.  I would estimate that less than 10% of the tree growth was permanently killed by that frost.

snow-pansy_2478126k.jpg.de8a8a4f23dd84c844bcea86535201e6.jpgI remember a large sycamore loosing its leaves in spring due to a severe gale, it regrew leaves but didnt set any seed (to the best of my knowledge) I thought that it probably needed all its energy to survive. Another plant that amazes me is the winter flowering Pansy, it can freeze and appear to be dead in severe frosts then when the weather warms up, back it comes without any noticeable effect

Edited by islandgun