Which 204

dazb1967

Hi 

I'm on the lookout for new rifle in 204, after doing a lot of reading most of which have been older posts I see there seems to be a lot of views on barrel lengths and certain ammo etc, has anyone on the forum got any advice on what to stay away from or can anyone recommend anything, I don't really want to start a topic on why that caliber as I have other rifles for stalking and rabbits I would just like some advice on this caliber which will be used for foxes.

I bought a near new Howa 1500 Varmint in 204. It's brilliant, very flat shooting and accurate too. Downside is it's a bit on the heavy side, but I don't lug it around the countryside. used mainly for long distance Corvid shooting and Fox when at a baiting station. It's knocks the stuffing out of Foxes. I use a 39gr Sierra Blitzking bullet (reloaded)

The Sellior & Bellot factory ammunition worked well with my rifle, but I reload.

I am parting with my T3 simply because I can no longer be bothered to rattle around the Fells at all hours looking for foxes, and no longer shoot Roe as I can't sell the meat without all manner of authorisation, but am seriously contemplating the idea of a Ruger No1. I have always desired the falling/rolling block mechanism, and while I'm aware it's maybe not the most practical from a 'field' point of view; a mate has one in .204 and it is the dogs in my opinion, and although I've seen it now I STILL haven't had the chance to fire it. 

He shoots crows and all manner of vermin with it out to ridiculous ranges. 

31 minutes ago, dazb1967 said:

Lovely gun, what rounds you putting through it

Been using 32gn hornady factory ammo, I got a few hundred with it. I’ve just, funnily enough today, loaded up some sierra blitzking 39gn to test. 

The 39gn SBK are the go to bullet for I would say the majority of .204 shooters.

19 hours ago, dazb1967 said:

Hi 

I'm on the lookout for new rifle in 204, after doing a lot of reading most of which have been older posts I see there seems to be a lot of views on barrel lengths and certain ammo etc, has anyone on the forum got any advice on what to stay away from or can anyone recommend anything, I don't really want to start a topic on why that caliber as I have other rifles for stalking and rabbits I would just like some advice on this caliber which will be used for foxes.

Barrel length needs to stay as long as possible if you want the full benefit of a .204. the alternate is to reload and find the best recipe to compensate for any barrel shortening, if you already have other rifles for stalking and rabbits then I have to assume your reading has led you to this calibre and what it can do, so you will not want to move far away from that.

The .204 has simply not taken off in the way the manufacturers would have liked, if you are buying factory ammo then it will be a matter of what you can find, and hopefully finding the best for your uses and the rifle!

:good:

On 3/2/2018 at 17:54, rimmie said:

Been using 32gn hornady factory ammo, I got a few hundred with it. I’ve just, funnily enough today, loaded up some sierra blitzking 39gn to test. 

The 39gn SBK are the go to bullet for I would say the majority of .204 shooters.

Agreed,  very underrated bullet,

A