Pigeon Breast

Markio

I've always cooked pigeon breast meat with beef in shape of a pie or casserole (slow cooked in bottom oven of aga with braising steak). I read a thread on here not so long ago about cooking pigeon where people explained about over cooking the meat would seriously damage its flavour to the extreme of it being bitter/horrible. I've always been of the opinion that i enjoyed the meat with beef etc but could never eat it on it's own as it was too strong.

In light of that thread i marinaded and fried 4 breasts today and i cannot believe the taste! it was like the best beef i'd ever had. We thoroughly enjoyed and can't believe that we have been unknowingly missing out for so long. Today was a learning curve and i still almost over did the meat. I can't face eating it as rare as these TV chefs seem to like it but 10 mins is too much too. lesson learnt.

BTW, the whole dish was pigeon marinade in oil, garlic, thyme and cracked pepper, with red wine sauce and new potatoes.

Anyway, another thanks to the contributors of PigeonWatch. :good:

You can do it slowly too but it needs to be cooked for a long time at a very very low heat :)

Interesting. All i can tell you is that the Aga simmer oven is 140 degrees C and cooks braising steak perfectly over 3 hours. Which is more than can said for the pigeon.

What constitutes very very low heat?

What constitutes very very low heat?

So that the bubbles break the surface of the cooking liquid(beer/wine/stock) every other second or so = under 100"C and cook for 3-4 hours which will make it melt in the mouth tender.

I`m about to have pig cheeks that took 4 hours, in a white wine and apple braise :good: but any addition of root vegetables and onions will work well and if you have a supply of herbs in the garden then add loads as they add a lot of flavour. Remember to remove the pieces of meat and then liquidise the sauce too !!

Bath Chaps.

When my kids were growing up we told them their cheeks were called bath chaps - they never knew the word 'cheek' Funny until they go to the doctors.

To this day they thing the mid joint in the arm is their 'elbone (L-Bone)"

• 1 year later...
I can't face eating it as rare as these TV chefs seem to like it but 10 mins is too much too.

If you go to....

http://www.gameson.org.uk/

..then click on Recipes -> New Game Recipes -> Pigeon, Bacon & Black Pudding Salad

..the meat looks almost raw.

I think I'd have a better chance of cooking it like this if I left it for a couple

of days in the fridge after 'butchering' the birds.

Nial.