Defamation of Character

steve_b_wales

Make sure the other party has money or assets before taking any action. I was talking about a situation to a lawyer I shoot with about this last year. Defamation cases are heard in the High Court. So you need to retain a solicitor to instruct a barrister. It will cost you a few thousand before you step through the court door. Then if you lose it’s big bucks for expenses, if you win and costs are awarded against the other party and they have no money or assets, it’s big bucks for expenses. The only winners are the legal profession. If you really want to do it there is guidance on the gov.uk website. I have not read it myself, just going on what I remember of the conversation last year.

Edited by Sussexboy

1 hour ago, Sussexboy said:

Make sure the other party has money or assets before taking any action. I was talking about a situation to a lawyer I shoot with about this last year. Defamation cases are heard in the High Court. So you need to retain a solicitor to instruct a barrister. It will cost you a few thousand before you step through the court door. Then if you lose it’s big bucks for expenses, if you win and costs are awarded against the other party and they have no money or assets, it’s big bucks for expenses. The only winners are the legal profession. If you really want to do it there is guidance on the gov.uk website. I have not read it myself, just going on what I remember of the conversation last year.

Thanks.

The earliest advice I was ever given was "no matter how provoked or how tempted, don't bother".

It's classic non-commercial litigation (i.e. there is no primary financial objective) which odds on makes it an expensive fools errand (most litigation is commoditised into pounds, shillings and pence and is therefore easily disposed of through old fashioned monetary horse trading).

Also, people often end up in advertently building the stage (via the Court proceedings) from which the protagonist then launches the next Act / Scene of his or her play, such that something that would have blown over / been ignored / quickly become tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper goes on for as long as the Court proceedings do - which could be years.

Litigation is for life, not just for Christmas.

More detail may help in the analysis but as ever, go and see a solicitor.

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

The earliest advice I was ever given was "no matter how provoked or how tempted, don't bother".

It's classic non-commercial litigation (i.e. there is no primary financial objective) which odds on makes it an expensive fools errand (most litigation is commoditised into pounds, shillings and pence and is therefore easily disposed of through old fashioned monetary horse trading).

Also, people often end up in advertently building the stage (via the Court proceedings) from which the protagonist then launches the next Act / Scene of his or her play, such that something that would have blown over / been ignored / quickly become tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper goes on for as long as the Court proceedings do - which could be years.

Litigation is for life, not just for Christmas.

More detail may help in the analysis but as ever, go and see a solicitor.

Thank You.

Steve, look into legal expenses that you get with home insurance, that might help or worst give an advice line.  They might be able to help with cease and desist letters to remove the offending comment, financial remedy will probably be out of scope as that could get lumpy..