A (nother ) grand larl day out.

Scully

Mate and me went along to visit the new Gilsan Sports gun shop near Melsonby this morning. It's 45 miles from us and a doddle to get to being less than a mile off the A66 after a straight run over Stainmore, and there's plenty of free parking which is a bonus. We were their only customers as we arrived shortly after opening time and first impressions were good. We were offered a coffee straight away and browsed the good range of clothes, boots etc before going into the rear gun room where they had an impressive range of firearms catering to all price ranges.

Around a centre stand were displayed an impressive collection of cased single and matched pairs of Boss, H&H ( I think ) and most other top English gunmakers, and in the racks all the major players producing todays modern shotguns. Had a handle of a very nice Browning ProSport ( really like these guns ) and my first handle of CG guns; couldn't believe how light they were! In amongst the secondhand rack was a nice Classic Doubles and an extremely tempting Winchester 101 Super Grade for a little over 600 quid. Very very tempted. 🤔

Anyhow, no Remington 3200 skeet gun, which it transpired was at the Leyburn shop. Simon informed me that if I ever found online a gun at their Leyburn premises which I fancied, to let them know in advance of travel and they would have it brought to the shop of my choice, which is a kind gesture which I'm sure applies to everyone, and makes good business sense. However, as Leyburn was just down the road, and after buying a slab of their own recommended 'Stinger' cartridges in trap guise, we travelled through Richmond and onto Leyburn. 

This shop is more like the traditional gun shop I'm used to rather than an upmarket showroom, and although size dictated a smaller range of firearms there was still an impressive display. Another coffee. In the rack was a very nice Winchester 8500 Trap which was sold and ready for collection, which had been opened out to half and three quarters, and lo and behold not one but two Remington 3200's! A nice 30" Super trap and a 26" skeet model. Both had obviously been used, but didn't show any signs of abuse, and mate was a bit taken with the skeet variation, not having ever heard of them before. Both were less than 400 quid. Anyhow, had very good craic with the bloke behind the counter whom seemed a canny bloke, and after asking if he had a box of chokes I could ratch through ( as I do in most guns shops ) I came away with two ( one a minter ) Winchokes for 20 quid. Twenty percent off clothing saw mate buying a smart Barbour jumper and we then left for lunch. 

Decided to call in at the Altberg manufacturing depot in Richmond on the return journey and was very impressed with their wares also. Very impressed. Well worth a look. There was a very good pair of second hand black steel toe capped Altberg boots ( ex police ) for sale which I would have bought if they'd been in my size, and then came home.

A thoroughly enjoyable day and can highly recommend any and all the places we visited today. We will be going again. 

Its about 30 years ago i was  in the alt-berg place at Richmond , still got my boots , had them resoled once . Love them , they were doing only a two colour boots then red and brown . You could have both colours on the boots , and choose were on the boots , you wanted the colours .

Edited by johnphilip

17 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Its about 30 years ago i was  in the alt-berg place at Richmond , still got my boots , had them resoled once . Love them , they were doing only a two colour boots then red and brown . You could have both colours on the boots , and choose were on the boots , you wanted the colours .

Quite a variety now johnphilip, and they stock other makes also, such as Meindl and Scarpa. 

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

Soundsike you had a good day out Scully, did you get to see any Gilsan Miroku XLR's they had made ?

Yeah, a really enjoyable day. Didn’t know anything about the Gilsan Mirokus figgy! 

On 19/12/2018 at 21:30, figgy said:

Soundsike you had a good day out Scully, did you get to see any Gilsan Miroku XLR's they had made ?

After you mentioned them in a previous post I contacted them and had pics/spec sent through, what cracking value for money and beautiful to boot! Think you posting that could be expensive!

To be honest I think they're just Miroku versions Gilsans have had done of the Browning Crowns for a thousand pounds less. Very nice deep engraving the same grades of very well figured wood and also nominal bored barrels. Oy thing missing is inlaid silver and the Browning name.

If he gets more done but with some silver inlays it may get expensive for me. I think the contrast of the bright silver against the darker metal on the Crown is very nice.

11 hours ago, figgy said:

To be honest I think they're just Miroku versions Gilsans have had done of the Browning Crowns for a thousand pounds less. Very nice deep engraving the same grades of very well figured wood and also nominal bored barrels. Oy thing missing is inlaid silver and the Browning name.

If he gets more done but with some silver inlays it may get expensive for me. I think the contrast of the bright silver against the darker metal on the Crown is very nice.

Come on put some pictures up!:rolleyes:

Please.:good: