indefinite leave to remain

oowee

The original post doesn't mention irises, just faces. So a photo of someone and their passport is sufficient evidence to live here? I'm just trying to get my head round why anyone would want to make it easier to cheat the system.

God forbid that the economic migrants might have to show some proper documentation and queue up like everyone else. The poor darlings, they must be so tired after all that scrounging. 

Edited by walshie

18 minutes ago, walshie said:

The original post doesn't mention irises, just faces. So a photo of someone and their passport is sufficient evidence to live here? I'm just trying to get my head round why anyone would want to make it easier to cheat the system.

God forbid that the economic migrants might have to show some proper documentation and queue up like everyone else. The poor darlings, they must be so tired after all that scrounging.  

Not even close.  

http://bingham.butterworths.co.uk/PDF/level1/hosetm.pdf

This link is to a pdf of the previous version of the form (its all online now so no paper copies available). It shows the level of detail non EU people have to go to.  

Edited by Lord v

1 hour ago, Lord v said:

Not even close.  

http://bingham.butterworths.co.uk/PDF/level1/hosetm.pdf

This link is to a pdf of the previous version of the form (its all online now so no paper copies available). It shows the level of detail non EU people have to go to.  

It'd be no different if I wanted to go and live in the U.S.A. Life's not easy.

4 minutes ago, walshie said:

The point being made is the process is very thorough it relies upon biometric data to complete. 

Worse if you do it the other way around (US to UK) not only do you have all the UK stuff but the US will not let you go easily. . My daughter in law is still liable for US tax after living here for 5 years. 

1 minute ago, walshie said:

Exactly.
Its like people think they have the automatic right to go and live wherever they like, and bring nothing to the table.
Try and move to Canada, NZ or OZ with no money or trade, and see how far you get.

Now you can apply  for permanent residence in this country with your smartphone as surety ?
Im surprised there isnt more coming over.
All in all it sounds like the system cant cope, or the system cant be bothered, just sign yourself in and the jobs a good un.

Well at least the fruit will be getting picked I suppose 😆

1 minute ago, oowee said:

The point being made is the process is very thorough it relies upon biometric data to complete. 

And my point being, when was this data collected ?

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Exactly.
Its like people think they have the automatic right to go and live wherever they like, and bring nothing to the table.
Try and move to Canada, NZ or OZ with no money or trade, and see how far you get.

Now you can apply  for permanent residence in this country with your smartphone as surety ?
Im surprised there isnt more coming over.
All in all it sounds like the system cant cope, or the system cant be bothered, just sign yourself in and the jobs a good un.

Well at least the fruit will be getting picked I suppose 😆

And my point being, when was this data collected ?

No Idea. Why you asking me? Do you have a passport? Then google it. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Presumably as the data is checked every time I come through the gate.

So your iris data has been taken ?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/17/iris_scanners_scrapped_at_two_airports/

"Iris was good technology at the time, but faster and more reliable options have become available and have been rolled out across the border so that's where we are with things."

The UKBA website said that IRIS was no longer available at Birmingham and Manchester airports, but was still open at London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

However, people are no longer able to register their eyes for the scheme, which was supposed to speed up the immigration control process for known users.

"All of our enrolment rooms at Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester airports are closed until further notice," the website said

The passport's critical information is both printed on the data page of the passport and stored in the chip. Public key infrastructure (PKI) is used to authenticate the data stored electronically in the passport chip making it expensive and difficult to forge when all security mechanisms are fully and correctly implemented. Many countries are moving towards the issue of biometric passports. As of December 2008, 60 countries were issuing such passports,[1] increasing to 120 as of June 2017.[2]

The currently standardised biometrics used for this type of identification system are facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, and iris recognition. These were adopted after assessment of several different kinds of biometrics including retinal scan. Document and chip characteristics are documented in the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Doc 9303.[3] The ICAO defines the biometric file formats and communication protocols to be used in passports. Only the digital image (usually in JPEG or JPEG2000 format) of each biometric feature is actually stored in the chip. The comparison of biometric features is performed outside the passport chip by electronic border control systems (e-borders). To store biometric data on the contactless chip, it includes a minimum of 32 kilobytes of EEPROM storage memory, and runs on an interface in accordance with the ISO/IEC 14443 international standard, amongst others. These standards intend interoperability between different countries and different manufacturers of passport books.

On 11/02/2019 at 15:30, oowee said:

Just checked and its iris not retina. The chip has the data and the scan checks the data against the chip. 

A copy will not work as the chip is fixed and will not compare to the scan. 

That's only valid if someone can be bothered to check them?

Not sure we have the will or the staff to be duly diligent.

2 minutes ago, old man said:

That's only valid if someone can be bothered to check them?

Not sure we have the will or the staff to be duly diligent.

No staff involved it's all done electronically just the same as when you go through the fast channel at passport control. 

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:36, oowee said:

It appears there is a super cool restricted trial system in place to process applications. You have to turn on the near field communications (nfc) facility on your phone. Then with a downloaded app you scan face and passport to confirm biometric data. Then the clever bit close passport rest phone on top and it reads the content of passport chip (using nfc) and compares it with the bio data just submitted to make sure everything is as it should be.  Takes just a few minutes and just like a scene from James Bond. 

Setting aside all the usual reservations about state control, how much more could we do if we had a biometric id card? This stuff is super cool and we could use it for all id including FAC in one place with seamless instant renewal.  

What did he say?  :hmm: