Magpies

red_stag88

Hi,

How easally do they decoy? Do they have a tendancy to mob like crows?

I have just tryied to roost shoot some with the airgun. I have seen about 150 in an area only 10m square. Probelm is though, the brush is so dense that you cant get a clear shot, so it may be shotgun time.

Cheers,

Red

Shotgun Mike obviously Mr Magpie has seen you, before you seen him ? You have to keep dead still any movment and he,s off. I can usually get them to about 20yds but some are just to shy to fall for that trick, if you see him give him a barrel or three even threw the trees. Just keep at it till it works SM :P

Red try and find there flight line and get on it about 30 mins before dark.

I use the same call that I use for calling foxes it works brilliant. If you do get a clear place to shoot put the dead ones up the tree after you have shot them.

Red

Set up a couple of decoys one over a old rabbit skin one lofted in a bush or tree

Get yourself a magpie call and call them in.

As other members have said concealment is the key, The birds have brilliant eyesight and hearing, and are extremely wary.

Once you have shot one set it up as realistically as possible.

I tried a magpie on a single arm of a rotary last year and it spooked the birds.

When I was a lad we used to take them from the nests just before they fledged and train them to "talk" ( Honest ! ) They are extremely intelligent birds.

If you are lucky enough to shoot several dont leave them lying around as this will also spook other birds.

I hope you manage to keep the numbers down. A pair of maggies will do untold damage to the small bird population of an area (especially Thrush and Blackbird)

Good Luck

FM.

hi,

i discovered this new form of hunting by accident when out lamping rabbits with the airgun. i find the maggies roost and go their at night with the lamp on white light and can walk to within 20 yards of them easily. they flutter around a bit but generally stay in the same bush, dont even fly off when u fire a shot. i dunno how it works but it does n im not complainin.

happy hunting

I have one of these 'predator callers' which has a magpie setting on it.

If I go into an area, where I know magpies are, it always brings them in.

This is because magpies are one of the most terratorial birds out there.

I also decoy them, but I find that this is the best method.

Tell me more about this call sir. ???