DeGale v Eubank Jr

chrisjpainter

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:48, washerboy said:

The fights on youtube 

I had a watch of the highlights on Friday, couldn't bring myself to watch the full fight given the comments I'd read.

looked like an old fashion brawl, Eubank obviously busier but couldn't stop chunky, looked from the highlights like there had been pushing hitting the back of the head the low blow and shoulder charge, but at the end of the day its a fight.

I then watched Wilder v Fury, now that was a good fight, hard to understand the draw decision but you always have to beat the champion.

then pressed on the real Tyson, Iron Mike, wow he was good, only watched the first ten minutes but next time I'm in the gym that's what I'm watching.

Mike Tyson wouldn't make your top ten? Really??

I'll have a look at the Foreman fight, i never think to watch boxing on YouTube, tend to put UFC on, but i do like watching good boxing.

Think I'll watch some Mcguigan and Calzaghe as well.

My top heavyweights - any of whom would have beaten Mike Tyson in their and his prime:-

1. Muhammed Ali

2. George Foreman

3. Ron Lyle

4. Earnie Shavers

5. Lennox Lewis

6. Cleveland Williams

7. Larry Holmes

scobydog - you are right about that fight. Hagler was a seriously hard fighter - one of the very few who could withstand the Tommy Hearns onslaught.

Edited by Gordon R

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:01, Gordon R said:

My top heavyweights - any of whom would have beaten Mike Tyson in their and his prime:-

1. Muhammed Ali

2. George Foreman

3. Ron Lyle

4. Earnie Shavers

5. Lennox Lewis

6. Cleveland Williams

7. Larry Holmes

scobydog - you are right about that fight. Hagler was a seriously hard fighter - one of the very few who could withstand the Tommy Hearns onslaught.

I still can't go with Tyson not being in that list, although i haven't even heard of a few on your list, he was just so different in his movement and style? And i can still picture him beating anyone in his Prime.

I watched the Hearns Hagler fight or brawl last night at the gym, i wasn't sure they hadn't started at round 8 it was so intense, no real thought for not getting hit, just three rounds all out.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I still can't go with Tyson not being in that list, although i haven't even heard of a few on your list, he was just so different in his movement and style? And i can still picture him beating anyone in his Prime.

I watched the Hearns Hagler fight or brawl last night at the gym, i wasn't sure they hadn't started at round 8 it was so intense, no real thought for not getting hit, just three rounds all out.

As with most top level HW lists,all on their day could beat each other due to one punch being a huge factor.

Gordons list includes a few from the golden age of HW boxing who in today's era would be at the top.Bare in mind some would be operating at CW which makes their achievements back then even more respectable.

Not saying Tyson couldn't beat them,but his manner of defeats and short reign will always count against him.

He was a phenomenon in a poor era and gets over rated by many who forget the great fighters of the past.

He was a bully fighter,and when things don't go the bullies way then they struggle.Evander Holyfield went toe to toe and tamed him.

Obviously his troubles didn't help so we will never know what could have been.

Not sure any of my list would be fighting at Cruiserweight. Earnie Shavers was the lightest, but regarded as one of , if not, the hardest punching heavyweights of all time.

Williams, Lyle and Shavers would be in any top ten hardest punchers of all time.

18 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Not sure any of my list would be fighting at Cruiserweight. Earnie Shavers was the lightest, but regarded as one of , if not, the hardest punching heavyweights of all time.

Williams, Lyle and Shavers would be in any top ten hardest punchers of all time.

Some could have made CW although the money would probably dictate fighting at HW.

To think Ali was only 6lb off the CW limit when he beat Liston the second time but obviously as matured and older as most folk the weight went up.

Shavers was a thunderous puncher and his fight with Lyle absolutely brutal.Just checked Ernies weight for the fight and he was only 206lb so again although ripped probably could have made CW.

Whatever weights they were,it was an absolutely great era with all fighting all and puts the current crop to shame although promoters have a lot to blame in that.

2 hours ago, sako751sg said:

He was a bully fighter,and when things don't go the bullies way then they struggle.Evander Holyfield went toe to toe and tamed him.

Obviously his troubles didn't help so we will never know what could have been.

I must be biased because of how he came onto the scene, obviously his troubles as you say stopped him having a long career.

I'll watch the Holyfield fight.

1 hour ago, sako751sg said:

Shavers was a thunderous puncher and his fight with Lyle absolutely brutal

certainly never seen them fight so I'll add them to the list.

I was watching Calzaghe's best ten fights this afternoon very enjoyable.

43 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I must be biased because of how he came onto the scene, obviously his troubles as you say stopped him having a long career.

I'll watch the Holyfield fight.

certainly never seen them fight so I'll add them to the list.

I was watching Calzaghe's best ten fights this afternoon very enjoyable.

Calzaghes reign is undervalued by so many and does lack big names in their prime but he did everything he could with the oppo he faced.Unbelievable engine and his work rate was so high that he was very hard to stay with for 12 rounds.

The Calzaghe v Froch will always be argued but im as certain as can be that Froch would be on the end of an absolute schooling.