Gun cabinet advice

20 hours ago, SxS said:

I have one above the skirting board, mounted on a block of wood (made from cut down railway sleeper) so that it’s flush to the wall but no gap underneath either.  Ideally through-bolt to floor with long decking screws, but even if you just bolted to the wooden block you’d add about 20kgs to the overall weight that someone would need to carry if someone managed to get it off the wall and tried to nick off with it. 

+1 I have a block of oak under mine too above the skirting board and a filled the gaps in with decorating caulk 

10 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Why make it any easier for them though? If you whacked a 5ft bar between the cabinet and the wall you could get it off with a bit of welly. 

To me it just seems common sense that given what's inside that it's best to make it as difficult as possible to steal the contents. 

All I’m sayin  is that if they want it they’ll get it how many times have you heard power tools or banging at your neighbours? And  did you go round every time to make sure no one was steeling anything .... my point is your average smack rat thief will not be carrying a jack or a 5ft pinch bar round with him more likely to have screw driver ... on top of that make sure they can get in your house in the first place 

1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

All I’m sayin  is that if they want it they’ll get it how many times have you heard power tools or banging at your neighbours? And  did you go round every time to make sure no one was steeling anything .... my point is your average smack rat thief will not be carrying a jack or a 5ft pinch bar round with him more likely to have screw driver ... on top of that make sure they can get in your house in the first place 

No, your average theif won't be carried them items, so they are not my main concern. The point is if it is a targeted attack as the owner of one or multiple firearms it is your responsibility to make it as difficult as possible for anyone other than yourself to gain access to them. Ie, putting the cabinet in the corner, bolting it to the wall and ground. 

I appreciate every force/feo has different opinions on how it should be done. Op was asking for advice and mine would be do all you can to keep them secure. 

At the end of the day you don’t even have to have a cabinet it’s just if you have it looks better and as for making it as difficult as possible do you store you fore ends in a different building ( thought not) there are a lot of other things you could do but you don’t ... at a guess most people  who fix it at  floor height  or put a wooden block under do it for aesthetics 

1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

At the end of the day you don’t even have to have a cabinet it’s just if you have it looks better and as for making it as difficult as possible do you store you fore ends in a different building ( thought not) there are a lot of other things you could do but you don’t ... at a guess most people  who fix it at  floor height  or put a wooden block under do it for aesthetics 

No, it's fixed to the floor so it's secured at 2 points, not so it looks good. 

It's funny how you make assumptions about other security arrangements, im sure you could conjure up a list as long as your arm if you felt like it, but the fact you 'guess' at why certain cert holders do what they do says alot. 

Obviously it's each to their own, but if the worst was to happen and your gun/guns were stolen because you didn't have a cabinet because you feel like you didn't have to, or it was ripped off the wall, whatever, I think in the eyes of the law would take a pretty dim view of you and your safety measures to say the least. 

8 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m not saying be half ***** and  just leave the gun laying about but the term is reasonably practicable so a gun clamp would do 

At no point did I say anything about leaving a firearm 'laying about'? 

Yes in certain situations a gun clamp probably would do, but the whole ' that'll do' attitude is far from what would be expected of a cert holder. 

My cabinet is bolted to the wall above the skirting board my key are kept in a digital safe bolt somewhere not to be disclosed my house is fully double glazed with window and glass locks my doors a pvc  my house is belled up I have cctv front side and rear my rear entrance gate has key code lock I have 2dogs all though not guard dogs they will put a thief off ..... So do you think I’m a that’ll do type of guy then 

7 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

My cabinet is bolted to the wall above the skirting board my key are kept in a digital safe bolt somewhere not to be disclosed my house is fully double glazed with window and glass locks my doors a pvc  my house is belled up I have cctv front side and rear my rear entrance gate has key code lock I have 2dogs all though not guard dogs they will put a thief off ..... So do you think I’m a that’ll do type of guy then 

From what you've previously posted you certainly come across that way. 

10 minutes ago, Bobba said:

"Assumptions" and "Presumptions" are the mothers of all foul ups. Conjecture and opinion can be put to rest by reading the guidance in the link posted by Dekers. It makes an interesting read.

Exactly this. 

1 hour ago, ferretfan123 said:Oh dear... looks like I may have opened a can worms.

For the sake of cutting 24 inch of skirting board, I will put it flush to the floor.

But again thanks for everybody's input

Do what you feel best pal, either way bolted to the floor or not will be fine me and the old man have had all our shotgun and firearms cabinets bolted above the skirting board for god knows how many renewals with different firearms officers with no problems whatsoever 👍

Edited by jmoz82