For all you (wilkinsons washing line pole) owners

iv pointed the bottoms using a hammer, but what method did you use to enable the net to be scured all the way down?

at the moment i can only attach the top of the net on the hook

Hi D,

I just weave the poles in and out of the net as I put the poles into the ground, it doesnt move very much at all even on a windy day.

:( D2D

If you're serious about pigeon shooting save up and get some proper hide poles.

Gotta agree with you there! I couldn't be asked with all the hassle of making them. I'm not sure how much the poles from wilkos are, but you can get 4 purpose made hide poles for around £40. If you aint got the money, thats fair enough, but if your just being tight :(

This is my argument....the original post asked how to secure the net to the bottom of the pole. My answer to that would have been...my poles are purpose built, all I have to do is hook the net over the kicker plate and put it into the ground, it takes seconds, in fact it takes no time at all to kick four poles into the ground and attach my net and no time at all to take it all down. If hide poles cost a fortune, I could agree with you, but they don't. In fact over the last few years they have come down in price. Take a wilko pole to an engineer and ask him to put a point and a kicker plate on it, so you can kick it in hard ground and see how much your charged. It's up to you, but if that extra £30 you spent lasted you five years, that works out at £6 per year, which is 12p per week. Are they really SO expensive?

Right so which would you choose?

�2.99 each with lets say about 15-30mins DIY with a total of = �11.96

OR

a set of 4 hide poles from a gunshop for give or take �45

Would rather spend some money on more ammo TBH, why make an expensive sport even more expensive? i can see where your coming from "Buy cheap buy twice" and yes i agree with that 100% but hide poles are are something that that can be sacrificed.

:(

I use cheap plastic crocodile style clips. Work a treat, easy to clip on/off. When I say cheap, mine cost me £1.99 for a card with 12 clips on.I bought them from one of those cheap shops that sell loads of plastic type junk things. Also I've had them a couple of years now and they're still as good as new.

I bought a couple of these this week just to try them.

I cut them down to reduce weight and was fortunate to have the ground spikes to a couple of old fishing umbrellas so cut the bottom 6 inches off these and attached them as points. I spigotted the points in place and used a 100mm bolt to secure, this doubles up as a kicker.

I'm a bit of a a tart so finished them off with Realtree duck tape :)

The washing line poles are a great idea if you don't have the cash to buy purpose built poles. I used washing line poles until I'd saved enough to get proper poles and there are two main advantages to the purpose built ones.

1) They're a lot bloody lighter; this is an important difference when you got a long trek.

2) I bought the ones with a screw type fixing at the bottom; so in soft or hard ground when washing poles wouldnt be sturdy enough, all I have to do is screw the poles into the ground and they are very stable. Got these from Paul hart.

The washing line poles are a great idea if you don't have the cash to buy purpose built poles. I used washing line poles until I'd saved enough to get proper poles and there are two main advantages to the purpose built ones.

1) They're a lot bloody lighter; this is an important difference when you got a long trek.

2) I bought the ones with a screw type fixing at the bottom; so in soft or hard ground when washing poles wouldnt be sturdy enough, all I have to do is screw the poles into the ground and they are very stable. Got these from Paul hart.

Who is Paul Hart?.... any contact details or interweb? Please PM me if you know...

Cheers

Malk