Best Tip

Cranfield

What was the best tip you were given ?

It doesn,t matter how long ago, or how obvious it was, lets hear it.

I was a lad just starting shooting (with a shotgun), I must have been about 11.

I use to go with George, who was a farmworker and responsible for pigeon "scaring".

He would spend a long time watching the fields and the birds, before deciding where we would set up.

He always picked the best field.

When I started to go on my own, I was too keen to get shooting and would set up in the most convenient place.

It was never the best place and I always had to move eventually.

This didn,t have to happen too many times for me to realise the good sense of reconnaisance.

If its the only lesson I have ever learnt, its the best one.

Best tip was from a rough old farm yakker in Yorkshire when I was looking across his 600 acre farm with my binoculars and seeing no pigeons at all. He said,

"*** thee sen down t' pub lad, t'oad pigeons al' bi arund when t'weather changes. T' back end o' t' week 'l be y' best bet."

He was right, a frost came at the weekend and there was pigeons all over his young rape. He saw me leaving the farm with a good few birds that weekend and commented on how right he had been in saying that woodpigeons change their feeding habits with the weather. I agree with him.

• 2 months later...

The best tip i have ever had has to be to watch the pigeons

don't just jump in and leave it down to luck. watch the pigeon watch were they are coming from watch were they are

feeding and also walk them off and see where they go and how long it takes for them to return that is if they return.

This tip has saved me a lot of moving about because if you dont watch the field then you might set up in a spot that they dont like but if you watch them you will know were to set up and when to set up.

Will,

It would appear that I,ve caused you some offence? :)

My point was made to reinforce my opinion that £100 + is too much for a days decoying.We charge far less, advertise 2 or 3 times a year, and still make a few quid.This site is NOT a place for guides for have spats or advertise, personally I've never taken a booking from ANYONE on here and don't need to,I think the same is true of Gary.

Feel free to charge silly money if you wish, there are enough mugs out there, but please don't involve me.

P.S.......should you think we're a cowboy outfit, check 'ShootingTimes' this Thursday........money is not everything.

Regards,

Well from what I have read in the previous posts it seems to me that this site's days are numbered, If farmers are being paid £35 per day per gun There is not much chance of the ordinary guy getting any land to shoot on for free

Once the word spreads they will all be wanting money for getting rid of their vermin :evil:  :evil:

HH, a days pigeon shooting has been for sale, as long as I can remember.

Early adverts in Shooting Times were £10 and £15 per day, placed by "sporting agencies". The same "agencies" that offered land on a, shoot anything/anytime basis, for a £100-150, a year/a gun.

Whilst pigeon shooting is hard to find in some areas, the reason is rarely the presence of a professional Guiding business.

There is plenty of room for everyone.

Professionals and amateurs alike.

I expect this really depends whereabouts in the country you are.  There are plenty of farmers in other areas only too happy to get rid of a few pigeons, and if you are successful, some will bring you some coffee out to the hide, and buy you a pint in the pub afterwards.  The pigeon is still a pest and can do considerable damage.

Anyway - aren't we losing the plot here a bit on these postings???

My best tip I can think of at the moment - I was told by an old farmer when talking about crows (and pigeons too I think).  Two guns walk close together to a cover, then one stops off at the edge, and the other carries on away from the cover.  If the two are close together, crows think they only notice a person coming up to the cover and then leaving.

I have tried this technique and it seems to work as the crows seem to return when they see the other person leaving.  (not tried it on pigeons).  

Perhaps it's a load of c**p but I'll keep on with it.  Anyone use this method?

I was talking to an allotment holder today who hangs up old C.Ds on fishing line to keep the pigeons off his greens. Apparently they don't like the sunlight reflecting off them. When the time comes I might try this trick to stop them landing in adjoining fields, and hopefully keep them on the move. I reckon you should be able to get about 20 discs in the average pocket, and it's got to be easier than using old fertiliser bags. Happy Xmas everyone

One of the farms we shoot at always use car hub caps and wheel trims dangling from poles in the rape fields. As the wind spins them in a sunny day ,the reflection and glare is very noticable and seems to be quite effective at keeping the pigeons away from that area.However they soon get used to them and just pick a part of the field where there are none.This helps us decide where to set up of course. :)