FOOT AND MOUTH!!!

Everhopefull

:(

It's August, the fields are being cut and the pigeons are flying, but Foot and Mouth has raised its terrible head again!

Are any shooters going to stay at home and not venture onto the fields in case?

I hear that some farms are starting to stop access to footpaths etc, is the next step for them to stop shooting as in 2001

What's the feeling?

:yes:

I'm going to speak to the farmer about it. I'll shoot if he thinks it's ok to. To be honest a bit of lost shooting is the last thing on my mind, the poor guy works hard enough for his money already without losing it all over night. He's a good mate, I hope it's stopped early this time before it hits him :(

Spoke to the farmer on my permission today, he says movement of livestock has stopped even between fields!! on the same farm, but no other restrictions or additional precautions up this way yet, heard on the local radio that they are possibly going to ease off on the movement thing tomorrow, might just be up this way though, not a good thing either way. :(

I spoke to a mate who runs a farm, and he said they are spraying boots and vehicles in and out. No non essential traffic. He said most farms he knew of were doing the same or should be, and anyone travelling farm to farm like shooters wouldnt really want to be identified as a potential carrier, especially if one of the permissions, for any reason became infected.

Spoke to other permissions and its been stay away untill it blows over, except for one that asked when i was coming up to shoot some pigeons now the rape and wheats been cut. Hes got a flock of sheep also.

I`d prefer to stay away at the mo tbh

Guys regarding staying away, we as shooters have a responsibility to ensure we do not cause cross infection between farms, arable, livestock or otherwise.

I released 1200 birds on to our syndicates estate yesterday only after checking with the owners we were ok to do so even though it is an arable farm only. At the very least farmers are more upto date on whats going on than we are, and we should phone and check to make sure first. If they say its ok to carry on, then do so, but see if you can spray your boots, hide poles, Magnet pole, vehicle tyres and undercarriage with a disinfectant. Yep, i know it costs both time and money, but hey we have a responsibility and if in doubt or do not want to spend the little bit of cost in ensuring non cross contamination, then don't go out.

Phone Defra for advice or even BASC and lets hope that this remains under control far better than 2001. Really has come at a tricky time for the advent of the coming season, but no less a threat than Avian Bird flu with the wildfowling season only 21 days away. and the grouse season only three days away. The big problem i see is that if all shooters refrain from going out and all animal movement restrictions are in place and upheld, who stops the wild population of Badger, Fox, wild boar and Deer from roaming and spreading. :rolleyes:

As somebody else already mentioned, the farmers bare the brunt of the crisis as always, lets not make a bad situation worse. As a syndicate we will have spent in the region of 18-20k this year, but if we cannot go out because this gets worse then so be it, there is nothing we can do, and at least the population for next year would be good with all those birds about.

SS :lol:

he says movement of livestock has stopped even between fields!! on the same farm

He's either being extra cautious or he's been misinformed. There is no restriction on movement between fields of the same holding, but you cannot cross a road if this intersects the holding. Perhaps this is what he means?

Shellyshot a new member tried to make this post, but pressed the "report" button by mistake.

I am a farmworker, if no animals have been in the fields you should be OK.

But disinfect just in case, iodine, citrus, even Fairy liquid kills it.

Its easy to kill and just as easy to spread.

Sounds as though its contained in Surrey and so long as it stays there the rest of the country should be OK, fingers crossed.

Guys regarding staying away, we as shooters have a responsibility to ensure we do not cause cross infection between farms, arable, livestock or otherwise.

I released 1200 birds on to our syndicates estate yesterday only after checking with the owners we were ok to do so even though it is an arable farm only. At the very least farmers are more upto date on whats going on than we are, and we should phone and check to make sure first. If they say its ok to carry on, then do so, but see if you can spray your boots, hide poles, Magnet pole, vehicle tyres and undercarriage with a disinfectant. Yep, i know it costs both time and money, but hey we have a responsibility and if in doubt or do not want to spend the little bit of cost in ensuring non cross contamination, then don't go out.

Phone Defra for advice or even BASC and lets hope that this remains under control far better than 2001. Really has come at a tricky time for the advent of the coming season, but no less a threat than Avian Bird flu with the wildfowling season only 21 days away. and the grouse season only three days away. The big problem i see is that if all shooters refrain from going out and all animal movement restrictions are in place and upheld, who stops the wild population of Badger, Fox, wild boar and Deer from roaming and spreading. ;)

As somebody else already mentioned, the farmers bare the brunt of the crisis as always, lets not make a bad situation worse. As a syndicate we will have spent in the region of 18-20k this year, but if we cannot go out because this gets worse then so be it, there is nothing we can do, and at least the population for next year would be good with all those birds about.

SS ;)

totaly agree i personaly i would stop going out if there was sutch a fuss ;)