Skeet with a .410

njc110381

I took my new .410 to the skeet club with me on Sunday, just to see how well I'd shoot with it. I only got 8/25 but at least I hit something. Everyone wanted a go when I'd finished! I had to do another round with the club chairman and a few keen guys to show me how it's done, and my average was best over all. Well chuffed, it's the first time I've beaten any of them! I think I need some #9 cartridges. 9g of #6 doesn't give the best pattern I doubt, even though the gun is choked 3/4 and full. I don't want to use magnums, as the whole point of the .410 is lost if you fire nearly the same load as a small 12g through it (my magnums are 19.5g). It's a stupidly soft shooting gun, I'm surprised it kills anything :(

good stuff Neil, i bought a 4 barrel set (miroku) some years back now 12/20/28/410, what a riot, i have run them in the three gauges but not .410, after numerous rounds 23 was and still is my best, its a great gun and loads of fun, my first reaction when shooting was to fall forward having no recoil to arrest my forward motion, laughed my wottsits off .

Martin

I have an old S B .410 which is superlight and folding.... it is only chambered for 2 inch so takes the 9grm Number 6 shot cartridge. I took it out for fun.... went into a very small wood and came out 45 minutes later with a rabbit and 2 pigeons. I was surprised to say the least.......

Mine is so old I would not go for skeet but I imagine your session was a lot of fun

Malk

The Yanks are really into skeet shooting through the "small gauges", as they call it, but don't forget that NSSA Skeet birds are even a tad slower than our English Skeet birds, although I do believe they shoot the dreaded station 8.

I'm struggling to shoot a 25 straight at the moment with a 12 bore, let alone a much more tightly patterened .410, so sod the smaller gauges, I'll stick with the big boys tools, and chuck a bit more lead up into the air..!! :)

Cat.

That .410 of yours looks very nice snipper!

thanks .... bought it about 3 months ago with slip/belt and a full box of fourlong 25yrs old for the grand sum............... £30 :)

bores are pitted to hell with the use of black powder but theres plenty of meat on the barrels

snipper

The Yanks are really into skeet shooting through the "small gauges", as they call it, but don't forget that NSSA Skeet birds are even a tad slower than our English Skeet birds, although I do believe they shoot the dreaded station 8.

I'm struggling to shoot a 25 straight at the moment with a 12 bore, let alone a much more tightly patterened .410, so sod the smaller gauges, I'll stick with the big boys tools, and chuck a bit more lead up into the air..!! :good:

Cat.

slower targets,,,, pah , them there international birds are faster and harder, you haveto hit them right or they land for breakfast.

one thing we were going to do Cat was introduce the oscilating machines into the skeet house's, i think it was a 45 degree max lateral and 15 degree elavation, never got the chance since the place shut down, but all the machines have been temporarily housed at my other shoot,,,,,,,, :):P where they obviously need to be used in a regular (lets see what we can set up now ) basis to keep them in shape, gotta love having pull at a good shoot.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Are you still planning on coming over soon to show us daft Brits how to shoot this silly Skeet game..?? :good::huh:

Cat.

im still coming over buddy, looking forward to hooking up with you and Pin, and anyone else whos around, as to showingyou how its done,,,,,, i'm not sure myself now, i kinda got into a bad habit of shooting it off the hip, so now when the wood :) hits the wood i'm not sure where its pointing ;):good:

but we'll see, i'll give it my best shot either way mate.

kinda dumb i know, but i set a shoot up here last month, with good prize money, andso i wasnt accused of cheating i shot it from the hip 158x200, not bad for a lefty. a 177 took H.O.A., IT WERNT AN EASY ONE. :good:

http://www.asca.ab.ca/

SUMMER CASH SHOOT, at Beaverhill june 30th, i had a tough cource set as high gun was $1000.00 and $400/300/100 placing prize outs, first one ive done solo, it was a long weekend but 40 good guns showed up, whole roast piggy wig and trimmings, great day and looking forward to settingit up next year.

not to long now though Cat, next month it is.

see you guys soon :P

Martin

tle,

That's great, it's good to welcome somebody here who can shoot, I'm not too sure about off the hip though, can be seriously damaging to those important bits, if you know what I mean..?? :P:good::huh:

Let us know when you're coming over, we'll make sure you have a good time..!! :)

Cat.

tle,

That's great, it's good to welcome somebody here who can shoot, I'm not too sure about off the hip though, can be seriously damaging to those important bits, if you know what I mean..?? ;););)

Let us know when you're coming over, we'll make sure you have a good time..!! ;)

Cat.

Ha Ha, like the new avator there Cat, not so crazy looking( like me!)