For the experts ..(silver)

ditchman

i am at a loss as to where this item was made.........i have tried to access all the world silver marks ...but to no avail.....you will have to enlarge the pics by pressing ctrl and turning the wheel on your mouse

is it Persian 

is it from the indian continent

from the far east....

any idea........................

i believe it is an elephant with a log with a "V" underneath........

ditch

bracelet 001tn_.JPG

bracelet 002tn_.JPG

bracelet 003tn_.JPG

bracelet 004tn_.JPG

bracelet 005tn_.JPG

17 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

all those elephants are facing left..........this one is facing right with a log ....cant find a match................thats if it is an elephant ???

Edited by ditchman

8 minutes ago, Leach said:

When did you purchase it did you try all marks from the net from Asia could give it a go could drop it in a jewellers 

i didnt purchase it ....it was bought/ given to my aunt she...passed to my mother then my mother passed to me 20 years ago

23 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, USA silver mark, or original mark for Calcutta era 1945, i think it is Calcutta but i cannot locate maker,  maybe Hamilton & Co, or James Arnold, both used an elephant mark, is that the only marks?  what is the object Simon

if it is an elephant it is facing the opposite way to that of caalcutta marks...........the object is a very thick and heavy bracelet

Just now, ditchman said:

if it is an elephant it is facing the opposite way to that of caalcutta marks...........the object is a very thick and heavy bracelet

hello, i found they did this mark 1945/1947 and found a silver object with the marks, google silver elephant marks, a few web sites come up

this is the object,.............ive already checked that website....its not correct ...look at the hall mark...........sort of reminds me of what a Siehk would wear...what do you think ?

15 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i found they did this mark 1945/1947 and found a silver object with the marks, google silver elephant marks, a few web sites come up

bra 2 001tn_.JPG

bra 2 002tn_.JPG

bra 2 003tn_.JPG

bra 2 004tn_.JPG

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if you look on the web site that Andrew put on and go down to some words in red see item description 1945/1970 the left hand mark looks like yours but very worn, other than that maybe google Hamilton & Co Calcutta heavy silver bracelets, looks very chunky what is the weight ?

looked on that site ..all the elephants are facing left....this one ...(if it is an elephant) is facing right...dont know the weight ,..never weighed it

weighed it .its just over 5oz............or a 1/3 of a lb...

Edited by ditchman

13 minutes ago, ditchman said:

looked on that site ..all the elephants are facing left....this one ...(if it is an elephant) is facing right...dont know the weight ,..never weighed it

weighed it .its just over 5oz............or a 1/3 of a lb...

hello, about £100 of silver, next time your in town or city take it in to a jewellery shop that specialize in old silver items,

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, about £100 of silver, next time your in town or city take it in to a jewellery shop that specialize in old silver items,

im not selling it...and would never consider selling it...it has been on my wrist for 20 years and it was warm off my mothers wrist when she died and before that it was on my aunts wrist...................its just that i have always wondered about where it came from...........i cant take it into norwich...havnt been to norwich for over 10 years now...thats why i thought we might be able to find out about it as a little project on here..:good:

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im not selling it...and would never consider selling it...it has been on my wrist for 20 years and it was warm off my mothers wrist when she died and before that it was on my aunts wrist...................its just that i have always wondered about where it came from...........i cant take it into norwich...havnt been to norwich for over 10 years now...thats why i thought we might be able to find out about it as a little project on here..:good:

I’m happy to drive you both in, if it helps? ( yeah, I know the logistics)👍

30 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I’m happy to drive you both in, if it helps? ( yeah, I know the logistics)👍

kind offer...............i will proberly give it to one of my mates to take in...............that will save me walking all over the place...:good:

On 29/01/2020 at 19:34, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, there is no elephant marks for Ceylon i still say it is most likely India

It was used on old silver coins from there , knew I had seen it somewhere, sorry Ditchy not used to hallmark silver pieces, old grey cells letting me down.

scobydog

51 minutes ago, ratchers said:

Possibly Egyptain early 19thC.

Some of the hallmarks tie in with some of the photos in the article.

http://hallmarkwiki.com/?country=Egypt

HHmmmmm....that sort of looks promising....................do you think it is an elephant carrying a log..............do you think i might have that wrong..?

Who knows, apart from english hallmarks its not an exact science and even those can vary a bit.

Just looks similar in photos 2 and 3 on the 1800 link.

The silver mark looks the same, the elephant? mark is similar, cant make the third mark out.

When I first saw the bracelet I thought Persian or Indian so Egypt could be right.

Sadly I cant find any better info than that. Keep exploring!