webley 410

matto

They are a superb gun, I think most "mature" shooters have had one, at some time.

I used mine for rabbits, rats, starlings etc. Although I have shot pheasants, partridges. pigeons and rooks with it, they were all very close range.

I think powerful air rifles and cheaper 12 bore shotguns, have rather stifled the need for a smaller gauge vermin gun, but they are a pleasure to own and shoot. :rolleyes:

The reason i ask is because of a noise thing.Smaller gauge,smaller bang or am i on the wrong track here?And they are a hell of a lot cheaper than most double barrel's.

I would only be shooting pigeons at 10-25 yds out of trees,i have been doing this with my air rifles but when they land in the decoys they realise somethings wrong and there off,no chance to get a shot with an air rifle.

They do make a bit of a "crack", I wouldn,t call them quiet.

Why not invest in a cheap double, or even cheaper, single barreled 12 bore.

You will get them for the same price as a .410. :rolleyes:

Double barreled .410,s always remind me of piglets.

Smaller, compact, but to perfect scale. :blink:

I think I fit Cranfield’s definition of “mature” (going off more like!) .410s are fun to have, but as for practicability, well think on.

I had a Webley bolt action .410 as a yoof and killed a tidy few pigeon with it over decoys and from under sitty trees. The effective range is only about 20 yards or so, and whilst the bang is less than a 12s it’s not exactly quiet. I did try a Huspower .410 some years ago, and that certainly was quiet, but unfortunately its pattern was so poor that it was ineffective…wouldn’t kill a sitting rabbit at 15 yards.

For the same dosh as a .410 you could buy a Greener GP ….great balance and handling, uses cheap 12 bore ammo, virtually indestructible (doubles up as a tyre lever.) If cash was short that’s the route I’d go.

Eug

i've got my neighbours Webley bolt action .410 now. only for a bit. as he wants it back in a few years for his children when they are old enough. in 3months ive had 120rabbits , 1fox , 50pigeons , 5rooks , 20starling , 2 partridge , 5-10moorhen

a very good gun. mine is about 38years old. still in mint condition with a few chips in the stock but has to be the best .410 around. for details see

http://www.4-10.freeuk.com/nostalgia23.html

they are a must have starter gun. i will try and get another 1 when im older and when i give this back to my neighbour, very good Starter and a gun which isnt very noisy and light. my friend has the 3shot version. i havnt fired it but he said he wouldnt sell it :lol:

Aled

just get a 410 and a 12g.. save using adapters

bad things about 410 :

- not much killing range

- cartrages expensive.(£4.95) instead of 12g (£3.95) - local dealer

- cant see the wadding when youve shot.

- not many shot sizes :lol:

save using wasting a 12g barrel if its 2 shot just get a .410.. so you can take out either gun or both :thumbs:

Aled

• 3 weeks later...