Canada geese

shawn9914

16 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Only time I've ever had to shoot Canada or Greylag Geese is from 1st September to February 20th even though I've had various Licenses it's normally non lethal methods and hard work that gets results. To many in my honest opinion take the easy option and blast away

A bit like pigeons, crows, rooks and the like. No real need to shoot them when a few strong words and a bit of flag waving will do the trick.

Makes one wonder how on earth they all got on the GL.

6 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

A bit like pigeons, crows, rooks and the like. No real need to shoot them when a few strong words and a bit of flag waving will do the trick.

I never knew pigeons crows rooks and the like ever had a shooting season. Anyway before you go getting your knickers in twist ( as you have in the past about shooting Canada Geese ) I've personally never had to shoot Canada or Greylag Geese out of season for reasons I've already mentioned . I know plenty that do and it's there choice as is mine not to out of season.

5 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I never knew pigeons crows rooks and the like ever had a shooting season. Anyway before you go getting your knickers in twist( as you have in the past about shooting Canada Geese ) I've personally never had to shoot Canada or Greylag Geese out of season for reasons I've already mentioned . I know plenty that do and it's there choice as is mine not to out of season.

Just for the sake of correctness, being a rather macho sort of chap, I always go commando !!

2 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Only time I've ever had to shoot Canada or Greylag Geese is from 1st September to February 20th even though I've had various Licenses it's normally non lethal methods and hard work that gets results. To many in my honest opinion take the easy option and blast away

Spot on . :good:

4 hours ago, shawn9914 said:

what about shooting a few with the 22lr would this be ok as it will be much quieter as there is an industrial estate across the way, or does the law state shotgun only ?? if so what no cartridges 

Just drive them off dont let them get back in they will move on. You need to abide by the GL, and 8.a "only as a last resort" . Geese on your pond wont be around long enough for any stronger action than moving them on.

Do not complicate your life any more than need be, the adjacent industrial estate you mention is another indicator. Keep things simple, Move them on is my advice to you.

11 hours ago, CharlieT said:

the only reason Canada geese were put on the GL was part of Camerons war on red tape. Previously folk had to apply for an out of season license (fair enough), but to save DEFRA time processing the applications it was just easier (ie cheaper) to put them on the GL.   There was no  thought that Canada geese had suddenly become a nationwide serious pest, it was effectively a clerical change, but hey, the become 'vermin' to some over night.

7 hours ago, shawn9914 said:

what about shooting a few with the 22lr would this be ok as it will be much quieter as there is an industrial estate across the way, or does the law state shotgun only ?? if so what no cartridges 

if you have to shoot a few then spend some time figuring which are non breeding birds and which are rearing goslings.  Most geese do not attempt to breed until at least two years old, if not older, so there should be some geese which are cullable.

You’re not going to shoot them all; the best you can hope for really is to move them on ( which means they become someone’s else’s problem ) by shooting a few and generally harassing the heck out of them. That’s what the locals did. 
We only seemed to see big gatherings on stubbles, and as the farmers around here don’t like to see them at any time of year, groups of shooters would congregate to shoot them. It was quite an organised affair with shooters up and down the valley taking part. It sounded like Warcop range at times.