Old duffer seeks heart surgeon

Lads, Help required on schlepping my kit.

I had a nice shoot on Tuesday and set up about 120 yards from the car. Using a big kit bag, I carried down a steepish muddy slope .…

Five hide poles

Three nets (modern leafy stuff)

A tripod seat

24 shell deeks plus pegs

One floater pole

One magnet (home made heavy ******) complete.

One semi auto

75 squibs

12 hazel sticks for “bagging off”

Sarnies and flask.

Odds and ****

I was absolutely knackered going downhill, coming back with an additional load of woodies, plus everything wringing wet I couldn’t do it in one go.

Do I hire a ghillie or is there an easier way? I’d thought of something like a fishing seat/box. Ideas experience and suggestions welcome.

Eug

Looking at your list, I probably carry a few more decoys and floaters, but only one net, for a "long day".

I also have a "short day" list.

I find that putting everything in one bag, is the big, big mistake.

I split my stuff between three smaller bags, one is a haversack type, gun and another bag hang over a shoulder and I carry the other bag.

Whilst I am carrying the same weight, it doesn,t feel so bulky and as its distributed around my body, I don,t notice it as much. :rolleyes: #

Eugene,

I carry the same amount of kit as you more or less.

I use a large capacity rucksack which I bought for carp fishing I tuck the hide poles and magnet under the topstraps which leaves both hands free for carrying the gun slip.

If I have a longer hike from the truck I use my fishing trolley which has pneumatic wheels.

Shooter or Angler we all take too much kit with us and are always knackered when we get to our peg.

Take a trip to your local tackle dealer.

FM.

There is not much you can leave out there Eug and it would have took me two goes on the way down and three on the way back :rolleyes:

We don't bother with deeks/floater poles etc just use the magnet and soon to be 3 flappers (care of deako) when I get the timers made.

We do have the added advantage of a 4X4

Eugine

I think that I am a little younger than yourself, but I do have a heart condition and am a diabetic. I now only shoot in the company of a partner, I would hate to have another heart attack, or slip into hypo with little chance of assistance. I also get knackered very quickly, and need to take my time and keep my energy up.

Even before my problems I was looking at ways to lighten my load. My home made pigeon rotor, would have been best made from aluminium, but at the time, I didnt have access to the right sizes of ally tube, so steel it was. I am however fortunate in having the run of an excellently equiped engineering workshop, I therefore drilled dozens of holes into the tubes and plates; Barnes Wallace would be proud!

My seat is a proper foldup chair, no arms, but it is aluminium!, I have covered many of the tubes with camo tape. My hide poles are also home made, but are very lightweight aluminium, one day I will get around to doing a post, believe me these are the lightest available. I carry everything except the rotor in one 80 litre ruck sack, purchassed from a fishing shop, its a FOX, well made, but I dont think much of the zips. My mate says that I have a kitchen sink, I dont, but the bag is well equiped, even a first aid kit, saw, the lot. I got MRs. webber to stitch some 2" wide velcro to the shoulder straps of the rucksack, and to my field gunslip, this sticks like glue and prevents the strap from slipping off my shoulder.

I addmit that the bag is heavy, but once on my back its ok. Believe me over the years Ive tried all sorts. Kit bags, holdalls, small rucksacks and a combination of the lot. I even bit the bullet and bought a second hand quadbike. Its great for my rabbit shooting trips to Scotland, but most of the farmers at home have plouged up the set aside strips and locked the gates, due to problems with our friends the gypsies.

It looks like its time to think light weight, start drilling holes, and take a youner, fitter, keen apprentice under your wing!

webber

My Normal kit is a couple of boxes of carts and 15 shell decoys in a small shoulder bag, I try to build a natural hide on location and I am quite happy with shooting small bags.and having a good walk around the land.

I cant see why you need all that kit unless you intend to shoot dozens of birds

Shooting is becoming just like fishing has, At one time an angler used to carry a rod, a reel, some sinkers, hooks and bait, but now they have tents,fishing boxes with enough lures to fish for the next 20 years, they carry 2 or 3 rods and rod rests, stoves to keep warm and even chairs. :rolleyes:

I could not agree more HH we carry far too much kit.With the number of pigeon shooters we have today,we are very lucky if we can fire a shot and keep the pigeons coming in and not legging it to the next county.Therefore may I suggest travel light and use fieldcraft and natural cover.One of my best days ever I had 250 cartridges,gun,penknife,cammo clothes.I sat back in the hedge, shot a couple,cut some neck props from the hedge propped them up and had a fantastic few hours.Learn from Anglers every time they buy maggots they buy floats, walk along the canal on a Sunday and see how many floats are in their tackle boxes!!!!

Fat lot of help you lot are!

Red..yes three nets. Given the hedge was a witness and offered the merest background, I set up a Batley style hide at the foot of a power pole. Actually I have 2 1/2 nets cable tied to a length of baling twine, and a half bit to go on the roof. It’s a speed thing; from the time I arrive on site to the time I’m sitting down and loading up usually takes no more than ten minutes. Decoys, hide, magnet the lot. Time yourself and see how you do. Golf cart..Hmmm.

HH… I also have a lightweight roving pigeon shooting style that I can use; I developed it more than thirty years ago. I have sufficient experience to know it wouldn’t have worked in the situation I was in.

Yes, my intention is to shoot dozens of birds if I can. On the day in question “a good walk round” as you put it wasn’t an option. This is a big keepered estate, that’s the reason I couldn’t take my dogs. Also bear in mind this was the first time I’d shot on this estate and permission wasn’t easy to get. I spoke to, on a face to face basis; next door farmer, contracted farmer, estate manager’s secretary, estate manager, beat keeper, and land owner in the big hoose. These people want to see good numbers shot, not some gonk poking around in the coverts with a Springer. The next day the big hoose lady got a pot of home made pate, and the underkeeper a bottle of hard stuff. I work at this game.

Salopian…as an ex match angler I never used to set out with the idea of catching less than the next bloke. I also had lots of floats in my tackle box; they were ready made up on winders and pre-shotted so I could change tactics in an instant. It gave me an advantage over lazy s-ds who didn’t want to do the hard work that being properly prepared requires. By the same token, for the main part I didn’t go to tackle shops for bait, the no hopers could do that. It’s the same with pigeon, I do my best to shoot the most (within certain self imposed sporting limits) that I can; that’s what I’m there for.

FM…wish I’d never flogged the fishing kit. I’ll probably buy my own tackle seat back at an inflated price.

Cranners, I’m sure you are right; I literally couldn’t pick the bag up never mind carry it. I was so wet and cold towards the end that I couldn’t press the breech button on the Beretta!

Finally Pieman…get down the gym indeed! And waste shooting time? I only once found the need to go to the gym to help me in my sporting objectives: she was a lovely lady well worth it. No, you can’t have her phone number.

Regards Eug

if i wee you to make ur shooting easierr i would buy a rucksack and fil it ful and also buy a fishing trolly as you can gt them for 50 odd quid i use 1 and it makes life easier. also get a fishing chair like a fox stalker or something they are quiet comfey.

this is for the chairs www.foxint.com/catalogues-sections-products.php?lang=&catalogue=1&section=8

this is for the trollys www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalog/General-Trolley.html

i hope this helps ant

Eugine

If my skin were not so thick I would be hurt. All other respondents got a reply, negative but a reply.

Am I to assume that you are currently recruiting an apprentice, and shall report when progress has been made?

Regards

webber :lol:

I know it sounds funny but when I used to do a lot of ferreting I would use an old trolley to carry all the stuff about on that seemed to work well. I have used it for pigeon shooting a few times but where I shoot now you can drive the 4x4 right up to the area and drop everything off. Although you do look a little silly :lol: if someone sees you walking across a field with a trolley and you cannot take sharp corners. Or stuff tends to fall off. :lol:

Crowstopper :lol::lol:

crowstopper, does your trolley have one wheel that doesn,t turn properly, thereby making the trolley want to go in circles ?

Every trolley I have ever touched, was like that. :lol:

I suppose you could use a lightweight rubber/plastic wheelbarrow.

Alternatively, split your gear between a couple of bags and make it all easier to carry.

Oooops, someone has already suggested that. :lol:

Eugene, would the keeper or farmer have a quad or ATV that he could use to ferry your gear across the field for you? Don't forget that although your permission may have been hard won you are still helping the farm out by being there, especially as you seem to be keeping them well lubricated :lol:

Q :lol:

I made my trolley, out of 4 old lawnmower wheels that I found :lol: and some old pallet crates, pram wheels will also do the job my friend did that but they were not so robust. I have also heard that shopping trolleys can be used, but I don’t know where you would get 1 and they also are a bit to big and shiny I suppose. I also knew 1 person who made a trolley and fixed a small petrol engine on it so it was self-propelled, but I think that is a waste of time as it took up most of the load space :blink: .

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: