Wooden pigeon!!

rapid .25

No, but I remember shooting over one my grandfather had carved and painted back in the early 1950s.  He only used the one decoy which would be placed near a known sitty tree and build a hide from natural materials in a hedge at shooting distance completly covered but for a small window to shoot out of.  A pigeon would land in the tree and be shot etc etc.

Back then harvesting meat for food was more important than crop protection.  We didn't see the large flocks of pigeons that we see today.

He would give me five cartridges on a good day and expect five pigeons in return.

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

No, but I remember shooting over one my grandfather had carved and painted back in the early 1950s.  He only used the one decoy which would be placed near a known sitty tree and build a hide from natural materials in a hedge at shooting distance completly covered but for a small window to shoot out of.  A pigeon would land in the tree and be shot etc etc.

Back then harvesting meat for food was more important than crop protection.  We didn't see the large flocks of pigeons that we see today.

He would give me five cartridges on a good day and expect five pigeons in return.

i used to do the same thing with a 410...........we would go off with our cheese and paste sarnies...and thermos....and wait for the passing birds to land in the tree next to the muck heap...

we were expected to come back with 5 or 6 birds....

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i used to do the same thing with a 410...........we would go off with our cheese and paste sarnies...and thermos....and wait for the passing birds to land in the tree next to the muck heap...

we were expected to come back with 5 or 6 birds....

I used to go out Sunday mornings late 60s with my .410 walk round the farm and try for a rabbit then sit in my regular rhododendron bush between two silver birch trees a wait for the odd pigeon.

You had a thermos !!!

2 minutes ago, mellors said:

I used to go out Sunday mornings late 60s with my .410 walk round the farm and try for a rabbit then sit in my regular rhododendron bush between two silver birch trees a wait for the odd pigeon.

You had a thermos !!!

yeah the type that used to rattle and crunch and when you poured out your tea all slivery bits of chome and glass used to come out with the liquid............

Just now, ditchman said:

yeah the type that used to rattle and crunch and when you poured out your tea all slivery bits of chome and glass used to come out with the liquid............

:)

will say one thing though really miss that rabbit and pigeon breast pie with mash and onion sauce . Never been able to replicate mothers recipe.

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

I had more than one of those, till I bought an unbreakable one. Rubbish guarantee though when it got crushed under a tractor they said unbreakable didn't actually mean "unbreakable"

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I was sent out with a Henry Martini and 2 x .22 rounds, I was expected to return with either 2 grouse(regardless of season) or 2 rabbits. Wasn't allowed back for breakfast till I shot something, checked and reset all the mole traps and fed the white rabbits bred for sale to the local butchers.

I soon got used to pinching extra rounds from the kitchen drawer so had the reputation of a crack shot.

I was 12, and sent to live on a farm with some other lads for bad behaviour. Strange how some of the best times, great memories, and great experiences come from being forced into things.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Blimey you must be one hell of a shot now 👌