Please help, my memory has failed me

Dunkield

OK, let's see if anyone out there read the same article but actually managed to remember the details :good:

Somewhere in Kent, there is a pheasant shoot that also has a put and take trout lake.

Once the shooting season starts they do a version of the McNab (called Mc something) that is bit I can't remember.

You have to shoot a cock pheasant, tie a fly using it's tail feather and then catch a trout out of their lake.

I want to do it with a mate, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is called?

Having been born west of the River Medway, I am a Kentish Man, but now I live east of the River Medway, I am a Man of Kent................and you say you are confused !!! :good::):good:

Despite being a game shooter and a fly fisher, I have never heard of the place you allude to, but I will make enquiries.

It featured in a shooting mag (Sporting Gun maybe?) I kept the mag but chucked the others, now I can't find the mag anywhere :)

To make it worse when I had the magazine it wasn't the shooting season.

The gist is, if you complete the 'challenge' in the day you get a bottle of bubbly and certificate.

It sounds do'able, as long as I can hit the pheasant :good:

It featured in a shooting mag (Sporting Gun maybe?) I kept the mag but chucked the others, now I can't find the mag anywhere :good:

To make it worse when I had the magazine it wasn't the shooting season.

The gist is, if you complete the 'challenge' in the day you get a bottle of bubbly and certificate.

It sounds do'able, as long as I can hit the pheasant :good:

Like Cranfield I have shot and fished in Kent all my life but I have not heard of this place and I know of most of the bigger shoots, I would be interested in having a go though??

I believe there was a similar challenge put out by a certain distillery called "Fin, Fur and Feather" which involved shooting and fishing in one day.

:) D2D

Stuart,

I just read both articles, and it sounds alot of fun. I think a couple of key points would be, being able to tye a fly and cast a fly rod before you got there :good: And as was mentioned in the article being able to tye 2 or 3 flies incase you have a break off.

All in all I think it would be a very enjoyable day.

I had a similar day at very prestigeous private hunt club where I took :

3 pheasant

4 chucker partrige

2 hungarian partrige

a white tail deer

and a wild rainbow trout

....all between dawn and dusk. I would have to say that the trout was the hardest and that was taking it on a spinnerbait. This happened in December after we had closed to our members and guests. The birds were on a little clean up hunt with one of my favourite pointers, Spot. The deer was a management doe as the harvest numbers were down slightly, and the trout was one of many that would cruise into our harbour.

If you do decide to go best of luck and take lots of pictures.

NTTF

Thanks for the replies (well most of them :lol: )

Well they still have spaces available so it is on the list of things to try.

I can tie Pheasant Tailed Nymphs no problem and cast them, so that bit won't be an issue, a lot would depend on the weather and how well the lake is stocked.

Early season I guess would be best, as the birds won't have been shot at much, and the water should still be warmish.

I will let you know if we give it ago and report back . . .

Thanks for the replies (well most of them :lol: )

Well they still have spaces available so it is on the list of things to try.

I can tie Pheasant Tailed Nymphs no problem and cast them, so that bit won't be an issue, a lot would depend on the weather and how well the lake is stocked.

Early season I guess would be best, as the birds won't have been shot at much, and the water should still be warmish.

I will let you know if we give it ago and report back . . .

All you need to do now is learn to shoot :lol::lol: