Prices for quarry

Aled_cky

ye, thanks pete.

my neighbour used to give me 50p a pigeon as he had so many, when i first had my air rifle i took out 300pigeons in 4months off his roof and buildings.

he gave me £30 then he proberly knew he'd have to pay more so he stopped paying me.. i still shoot there now with my .410 as he lives on my land.

my dad pays me £15 for a magpie , £20 for a Raven , £20 for a Great Back-Backed Gull.. only becuase they kill lambs and sheep :lol:

Aled

my dad pays me £15 for a magpie , £20 for a Raven , £20 for a Great Back-Backed Gull

Thats only 'cos he's your dad. Keeper gives 50p for a magpie, but usually I just get drinks bought for me at the pub.

One heavy session at the rats usually gets me a couple of pints down the pub, and if I keep it up all year, a bottle of malt at Christmas.

Black heads CANT be shot. Black backed gulls CAN be shot on an open lisence issued by DEFRA. They will give you a lisence if you have a specific problem with gulls, your problem with sheep will be enough for them to grant you a license for sure.

I shoot Black backed when I go shooting each year in Scotland. Next to where my father and I shoot is a land fill site- Fantastic Fun- gulls and crows everywhere :lol:

As for your question about how much to charge- do it for free! You will be sure to get some advantages from helping the landowner. And also you are getting good sport. If their is somebody near you that is finding it hard to get land to shoot over and they ask the landowner the landowner will probably replace you because the new person is not asking to be payed. Just a thought :lol:

tody

Apart from golden eagles, do any other birds really cause damage to lambs ?

I know we have all heard wild stories, but although I have spent my entire life in the countryside, I have never heard a first hand account that was credible.

Most of the crows, magpies I have seen around fields of sheep with lambs, are either looking for grubs, insects etc, or any remains following the birth of a lamb.

Guest Mr Pieman

Cranners,

I have never heard a first hand account of raptors etc killing newborn lambs. I've seen them feeding on dead lambs. Perhaps some of our farming folk have seen such things.

Can't believe people shoot ravens - and then tell us all about it :lol: !!! Anyone know the collective noun for ravens?

PP

sorry was on hols till now..

Cran loads of birds attack lambs..

we have a big problem with Magpies , Ravens , Great Black Backed Gulls , Rooks may go for a lamb if its dead same as crows , Carrion Crows which are bigger than rooks and smaller than Raven's often go for them..

we have 3 Buzzards that roam our farm they may go for a lamb.. but only when it has already been killed. these birds are wonderfull to watch and i would never shoot 1.