Snaring Foxes

rabbit hunter

Okay, so how do you snare foxy? Like what size snare do you need? How high is it to be set? where is it best to set them?

I am asking these questions before i acquire a few fox wires as i want it done correctly without causing un-neccesary suffering, and dont want to get a badger accidently, so any hints/tips, any pictures of fox tracks?

i got 4/5 of my snares with a fox in in 1 field last year.. got 1 the other day but it escaped..

i will take some pictures of the Professional Method... this has been done in the family for years...... :thumbs:

i have 1 in a field now.. will take pictures tomorrow.. or after before it gets dark.

- find a old fox hole where they pass through.. find them under Fences--

we have lambs/sheep in our fields so we have a lot of fox's passing through..

me and father will be going out soon with our snares.. do you have a farm? if so you will proberly have holes under fences where you or the farmer will have put big stones.. these are either fox or badgers holes.. if you find any others.. put snares in them..

Aled

I have always been taught that a 9" loop 9" off the ground is the perfect one to use held in place with a tealer i use 1.4mm tig welding rods they seem to be just right to let me bend the snare to where I want but strong enough to keep it there. Don't forget to anchor it well cause they pull like ****. And then some nice 24gram no.4's seem to end the job quickly without overkill. Good luck

Reloader: 3inch off the floor? Considering you have a rabbtit snare 5.5" from the floor, i dont think thaty is right.

So are the foxes usually dead when they are snared or have you to kill them yourself? Considering i havent got shotgun liscense, is there any other way to quickly and safely dispatch charlie?

RH

This answer is really going to put the cat amongst the pigeon's so to speak . Dispatching charlie with out a shotgun can be a right pain in the botty ! If you intend to do it without getting bit lol . I would recomend a good blow to the head with a heavy object ! Just make sure you dispatch the critter quickly . Even though charlie is murdering , stinking , vermin , it is still an animal and as such must be treated with respect .

all the best yis yp :thumbs:

Just make sure you dispatch the critter quickly . Even though charlie is murdering , stinking , vermin , it is still an animal and as such must be treated with respect .

Wise words YP

Aled, were talking foxes here.

Leon, overkill :lol:??? foxes :lol:?:lol: :P :thumbs: :)

Q :(

Guest Mr Pieman

Dispatching Mr Fox can be quite unpleasant without a gun :lol: . Sometimes I use a pick axe handle but you need to be confident that to kill it you can hit it first time and in the right place. As YP so rightly says, they deserve respect as much as any other animal :lol: .

If you aren't confident you can kill what you catch either take someone with you that is, or leave Mr Fox alone :thumbs:

PP

i set my wires on a run i know is used by foxes (hair on brambles etc)approx twelve inches above ground level where the run narrows.if it is a wide one then it can be narrowed by laying cut branches to form a funnel.the most important thing is to place a bough OVER the wire so deer will hop over rather than dive under.i use hazel twigs with a notch cut in the end to support the snare as i have found badgers will knock the snare flat with these and charlie wont.i tie the end of the wire to a good sized log,you would be suprised how much a fox can pull.

if you are unlucky enough to catch a badger then your best bet is to hold it down with a stout forked stick and cut the wire (dont use your foot :thumbs: :lol: ) as locking snares are illeagal it will soon shed it.

for humane disposal without a shotgun or rifle a sharp blow to the back of the head just below the ears will do the trick.check your snares at least twice a day and good luck

Aled I live in Ireland and we call foxes 'charlie'

If your killing a fox without a gun hit it a good thump on the bridge of the nose, but its a lot less hassle with a shotgun.

I don't agree with some of the posts, if your putting a snare on a run under a fence the snare is set on the ground.

But if its not i put it about the height in which carlies head would be at when walking.

I agree with tigger use hazels cut to the appropriate length and split in the middle this holds the snare perfect. It is also vital about making the funnel as digger talks about, it means that charlie is led straight into the snare.

With all this bough bending, twig snapping and funneling I doubt Charlie will come anwhere near the trap because of human smells. Just an observation.

Our keeper never washes if he's going out to set snares. (He dont wash much anyway ;) )

As for killing it without a gun, that is just to inhumane to comprehend unless you are very skilled and practiced in the art.

We usually get somewhere good to hide and the keeper "squeeks" charlie into range. One of our guns has a rimfire which is very effective.

No offence meant to other contributors in the thread. Just my opinions.

RTR

I always use gloves for setting snares and cage traps when on the very odd occassion I forget them I never seem to catch nowt.

Q,

I tried one with a three inch mag and it took two after that I have stuck too 24gram 4's and the first bang and its all over. ;)